The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2001, 01:40 AM

Hey KyCabnetMkr,

Just picked up the Rane AP-13 myself, and am using a NanoVerb for reverb effects (chorus wasn't that great, but for $99.00, it's fine).

Looking to eventually get a Daedalus cabinet and a poweramp, but for now, I'm considering getting the "Blonde on Blonde" 80w powered extension cabinet to tide me over for now. That might be a less expensive solution, and one worth trying.

Brett
Old 01-30-2001, 05:42 PM

I'm one of those who embrace simplicity. As long as I'm in a place where the house sounds decent, I run my Taylor 410 (mahogany, not ovangkol) with an LR Baggs RT and preamp through an in-line tuner (first), a volume pedal (sometimes, and second), and a Tech-21 SansAmp Acoustic DI and that's it. Often, I'll ask the sound tech to set my channel in the house to flat EQ on board, and I'll just EQ with the SansAmp. In my opinion, the SansAmp is an amazingly versatile and high-quality piece of equipment. Any other thoughts on this?
Old 01-30-2001, 08:03 PM

I understood the principle behind the SansAmp, but just wasn't bowled over by the Acoustic DI (have the GT-2 for electric). I ended up adding an ART Tube PAC preamp/compressor along with the Tube EQ in the "expansion" inupts of the Rane to get a real tube based "tube tone," and with the Baggs PADI running off of the Tube PAC's phantom power, I've got a great sounding rig for both the Dual SOurce equipped Larrivee and the Fishman Natural 1 piezo equipped Taylor.

It's not a simple setup (for that, I still have the Boss AD-5, or for completely stripped down, I can still just take the Baggs). Yeah, I know I have G.A.S. (Gadget Acquisition etc.) but I figured that if I wqas going to go for a tube sound, I wanted to actually have tubes.

The SansAmp does take that harsh high end down a few pegs, and is pretty flexible, but was not the way I was looking to go.

Brett
Old 02-03-2001, 01:36 PM
O'Dadgad rules.

Hey Brett Valentine,
A couple friends of mine have blondes. i tried one of those once, and found it to be very nice. i think the best absolutely sound i've ever had tho was a taylor 814ce through a roland ac-100. i tried that at Mars music in cincinnati a couple years ago, while i was still in college and unable to justify spending $3000 on a rig like that. i know it might be less expensive to try a blonde setup, but i'm after portability. a cabinet with a rackspace built into it would be great for me. taylor in 1 hand and daedalus in the other. 3 cables (2 1/4" and xlr to house), and i'm set. even thought about building a cabinet out of mahogany or something and using some eminence speakers. but i'm not there yet thanks chief.
Old 02-13-2001, 12:08 AM

Unhappy

Okay...
So it's been 3 months since I asked about a cheaper line of acoustic amps and I've gotten no replies.
Sorry to sound cynical but thank you, thank you, thank you all.
Old 02-13-2001, 12:17 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

franchelb,
Sorry you did not have responses. I for one guess I missed your post.
I do not know what your definition of cheap is. I got rid of a lot of my high end sound equipment this year and got an inexpensive Fender acoustasonic SFX amplifier to use for the limited gigs that I now play. It is an adequate rig for my purpose. A new one runs about $500.00 and you could most likely find a used unit for somewhat less.
Bill.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:10 AM

I missed it, too.
You're not the only one who has been ignored/overlooked.

[This message has been edited by trombone (edited 02-13-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by franchelB:
I was wondering about the cheaper line of acoustic amps
Hey FranchelB: I just tried out a SWR Strawberry Blonde with my 314kce the other day. Very nice for less than $500. Definitely worth looking into.

------------------
Jeff Preston
Indianapolis, IN
"All" my gear - http://php.spea.iupui.edu/jdpresto
Old 02-13-2001, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up

I do appreciate y'alls help...I'll look into your suggestions.
Old 02-13-2001, 11:19 PM

Hey franchelB, Just recently I got a Marshall AG50D. A great lil small amp (50 watts), but it actually does pretty well. Fills up the sanctuary at my church well (fits about 200-250 people). Got it at Guitar Center for 379$ (which is darn good). 2 channels, 1st is acoustic instrument, 2nd is for XLR, 1/4" input, or RCA input. Check it out while the deal lasts at GC.
Randall

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification