The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 AM

Bump for more suggestions...
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Well it seems to me you have a number of very good suggestions already. There is a definite trend as to the TYPE of effect that works well with acoustic, throughout this thread. Personally, I think the guy who posted about the Hardwire pedals is on to something. The are sold everywhere (i.e. they plentiful and easy to get) and they do sound really, really decent. I would suggest you check those pedals out - the ones that the poster put pictures up of. Those will work quite well for acoustic guitar.

Tony
Old 05-31-2010, 03:20 PM

I use a Fishman Aura to help with the piezo quack, a Digitech Digiverb reverb pedal and a Aphex Acoustic Exciter pedal...these are on almost all the time. For various other effects I have a Eventide Mod Factor ... this thing sounds great and has a mulitude of 'acoustic friendly' effects available. I currently use this pedal for chorus, phaser, rotary, tremolo and wah(!) effects as required. This pedal is capable of so much more than I use it for and sounds incredible for any of the patches.

Brian
'83 Ovation Ultra
'09 Ibanez CE200 Classical
'81 Les Paul Custom
'06 G&L Tribute Legacy HB
'06 Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
'07 Variax 300
'08 Washburn Rover
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM

I can suggest to you how I use mine.

The reverb.....Helps make the notes sound fatter.

The Delay...used almost like reverb..like an extension of natural reverb coming back from bouncing off a wall but that wall is not too far away as to create an echo like. "Boom....Boom....Boom...."

The Chorus.... I use this to add some color and some surround feeling to the mix. Nothing crazy (and it's really not that crazy) like the riff from "Message in the bottle"

The Phazer...This one used with mild chorus only while finger picking adds a dreamy kind of cool sound as the notes go in and out of a slow but deep phase shift....

If ya get to a guitar store, you gotta try em out if yer into this kinda thing.

When I do my set of songs on Sunday Morning, the reverb usually stays on the whole time but not always. I'll add the delay to more punchy type songs where the rhythm is a bit more choppy...makes then end of the attack sound bigger..
When I do the mellower songs, strumming and or finger picking, the Chorus pedal gets used.
And then, when I feel like adding a bit more flavor, I'll use the Phazer during those times when I'm all fingers and frets.

Not all of my songs get flavored/colored with effects, but to help change things up at times, or if the mood feels right, I have some tools at my feet that serve me quite well.

Homemade pedal board.

Hope this helps.

Note to self... I gotta get some recordings made....When I can find the time.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Fishman Aura to Fishman Pedal Reverb. I think these are class pedals cause they are quiet and subtle and beatiful. Also simple.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM

A little reverb and delay from my ZED 12FX. Maybe a Spectrum in the near future.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM

As I've written elsewhere, I think the Boss BR-600 and BR-900CD are excellent front ends, if you don't need to adjust real time. The reverb and chorus effects are fine, although you have to go into menus to adjust them.

The advantage for me is the rhythm machine (with PC editor), which even allows you to use your own samples for backing tracks via the Toneload function.

The new BR-800 has the GT-10 effects according to the literature, and I know they are absolutely excellent (I had a GT-10 for awhile, and it was way overkill for what I do, but what a monster of a multifx/modeler).... They will be here within a month, and I already have a pre-order with Sweetwater......
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Default effects for acoustic

I have a Jack Deville Dark Echo that I dont think I could do without...
pretty much the only pedal right now in my acoustic rig:-D
Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Nobody for the G Natural from TC Electronic ?

I was thinking of gettin this unit but it seems pretty pricey and wasnt sure of performance.

Anybody had good or bad experience with it ?

I agree that effects on an acoustic should be used sparingly. Currently I also use the Aura DI that delivers EQ and little compression. The only other effect I use now is some Hall reverb, very mild through my marshall acoustic amp. Just to give the notes a bit of bite.

However I've recently dusted off my 18 year old Korg Pandoras box which is a tiny portable effects unit and actually not bad! Might use it on a couple tracks for some chorus and delay.

cheers.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 11-11-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:38 AM

+1 on the TC G Natural

It is a great pedal that i have owned for about 8 months and love it, though it does require some work to get the levels correct and the setup just right, but if you put in the effort it is well worth it

Great delays and reverb settings, as well as a good compressor

Delays are cool because of the subdivision button as well

I am still working on how to enable the midi aspect of it, but even without it, if you have the money it is definitely worth the investment
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM

I use the effects in the Bose T1 Tonematch unit that I use with the L1 M2 system. I use zEQ (that's an EQ system optimised for YOUR instrument/pickup type), reverb, delay, and chorus. The unit also contains Parametric EQ, comp/gate, flanger, phaser and trem but I dont presently use them. I just add enough of the aforementioned ones to colour/enhance the sound for richness and 'presence'. I have no need to switch FX on and off as in the classic use of an 'effect' as you do with an electric guitar. It's a full time, yet subtle enhancement.

When you look at what the T1 contains, and how user friendly it is for the acoustic guitarist, in its subtle mixing pallet form, then it is actually very good value to buy just for the FX and Tonematch capability. Compare its price and quality with just a handful of best quality 9V floor units and it becomes a very attractive proposition. Fit it to the side of your mic stand and you have full control (including master FX on/off - which is fine for me as I sad) at your fingertips, no need to play around with FX on the floor or worry about batteries.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM

I have too many of these things.

Advice for you:
The sonic stomp doesn't really do much; it's more like a eq or clean boost. Oh sure, it may improve your sound, but you may want to leave it on all the time.

Slow delays/loopers - if you are just fooling around at home, these are fun. But slow delays with multiple repeats when you are playing chords in a performance don't sound good. The old chord is still playing after you have moved on!

I have a bunch of the digitech/hardwire stuff. It's real good. By good I mean that it is not noisy, it's sturdy, doesn't make a loud pop, etc. Most devices I have found more than one sound that is usable.

I prefer ananlog delays, overall. Concerning DDs, the attack of the second (and subsequent) repeats seems to harsh . . . too trebly/loud. Maybe the noise of analog covers these up. But when I hear echos in nature, I hear the attck/treble of the initial noise, but that aspect of the sound is missing on the following repeats.

Reverb is great. Even if you have it in your amp alreay, some of these boxes can change the environment giving you several differences within one pedal.

Chorus - it is was it is. Is it an overused cliche? I dunno.

I think much of it depends on what kind of player you are and what sound you are shhoting for. Then again, if you are bored and are just looking for something new, might I suggest learning some new techniques. Of course, that would be the pot calling the kettle black!

My newest interest:
Automatic panning between two amplifiers. This sounds very dreamy when you are sitting in the middle of the two amp/speakers and they are very loud and you can actually feel the sound pressure. When you get outside of the middle, it probably means nothing. I don't care. I'm just happy in my little trippy world. Yes, I have a lava lamp, too.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Pedals and Daisy Chains

I am a fairly new to pedals and was looking for some advice. I've started doing small gigs in my area. I've been looking at a few pedals that would work well for a slightly folky acoustic style. So far I have come up with:

Boss CE-5 (Chorus)
Boss GE-7 (Equaliser)
Boss RC-2 (Loop)
Boss TU-3 (Tuner)
Zoom A2 (General)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what order would they go in?
I imagined it would be:

TU-3 > A2 > GE-7 > CE-5 > RC-2

Any advice on that would also be really appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Well you seem to have some nice sellection given to you already. I do a little soloing myself and found these pedals to suit my needs in the music i play.

Boss-OC-3 to lower my Bass octaves into the Looper
Boss-Delay Pedal for my lead
2 x Boss-Blues Driver BD-2 (I like these so much I bought a second)
Boss-RC-20XL which I loop all these pedals too
Digitech Live-2 Harmoniser which goes direct to the PA system

My advise, see what best suit your style of music. Oh yeah, my amp is a Acoustic Fishman SA220 solo amp
Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 AM

Cheers dude.
Looks like a good setup!
Few things: 1. I presume you use the BD-2's at the same time with different settings? and 2. I am thinking of getting a delay, would you recommend it?

I work at a musicshop, and the staff discount is quite good. I have a fair few bob, but not loads so I'm just takin' 'em a step at a time. I am buying the Marshall AS50D Soloist Amp tomorrow to use at home, as a speaker for small gigs and as a personal monitor for larger ones. I've tried it in store and it is really good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification