The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Question Question BBE products: Sonic maximizer 362&482i&882i, sonic stomp, etc

Hello. I have questions about sonic maximizers

I already have a sonic stomp and last night by using an insert cable, plugged it into my microphone channel and used the sonic stomp which is made for guitar. My vocal sounded so much clearer and cut through the mix better

-----------------------------------------
* Three questions

1) Would that make any difference from 362&482i&882i series?

2) When recording or live gig, would you use the sonic maximizer for the whole main out or just for certain channels?

3) Is there anyway to assign sonic maximizer to an Aux channel? I have a nice yamaha digital mixer named O1v96v2
-----------------------------------------
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Unhappy

anway one has any idea?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:26 PM

I own a couple Maximizer units. I run audio recordings thru it before putting them onto disk. It seems to clear them up and give them more presence. I have also used 1 to run the mains thru in a PA setup. It's definitely helpful on vocals. On guitar it's hit or miss. Generally it it does help the sound of a guitar UNLESS it is a real bright sounding guitar..... My 2 Cents. I like the maximizer units. Next best thing to EQ'ing IMO.....
Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 PM

You could use any of the above Sonic Maximizers. The Sonic Stomp is actually the same as the 482, only a single channel and in the stompbox form. I've used them for the whole mix - just run a line from my mixer outputs into the BBE and then out to the amps & speakers. Really makes a difference. They say it isn't intended for using through the aux sends, like you might with a reverb, but I've also used it that way with success. I'm a big fan of their work!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 PM

WOW! This thread is from awhile back, isnt it? Geez. Looking back at what I said I'm not sure what the Heck I said!....

Anyway I like the Maximizers too. They do tend to work very good for vocals IMO to bring out more clarity.... I generally use 1 to clean up audio recordings too, especially ones that sound sort-of muffled.....

Ryan
Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 AM

well i got rid of 882i after a couple of weeks. i don't really need one. all i gotta do is record a clean and undistorted sound at first and eq well. i feel like maximizer exeggerates the sounds a lot and changes the tone of the sound. It may sound good for a little, but it's not the sound I'm looking for
Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant4J View Post
well i got rid of 882i after a couple of weeks. i don't really need one. all i gotta do is record a clean and undistorted sound at first and eq well. i feel like maximizer exeggerates the sounds a lot and changes the tone of the sound. It may sound good for a little, but it's not the sound I'm looking for

Agreed. As I said, if it doesnt sound that good (muffled etc...) The Max will help, but if you get a clean crisp recording you dont need it and (as you mentioned) it will exaggerate certain tones. It's a great tool IMO for recordings done with a camcorder, which often will sound muffled or muddy.... My opinion anyway. Honestly, the average person who is recording with high end equipment or has good editing software probably wouldn't use a maximizer for recording purposes anyway.

Ryan

Last edited by 66strummer; 10-12-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 AM

I've found that I'm happier and the sound is better when I skip trying to apply audio bandaids and just go for the best sounding equipment I can find. Instead of a microphone that doesn't really cut it + a sonic maximizer (or other audio gimmick), it's much better to spend the money on a better microphone that sounds great on its own.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
I've found that I'm happier and the sound is better when I skip trying to apply audio bandaids and just go for the best sounding equipment I can find. Instead of a microphone that doesn't really cut it + a sonic maximizer (or other audio gimmick), it's much better to spend the money on a better microphone that sounds great on its own.
That's an epiphany, my friend.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 PM

I wouldnt necessarily call it a gimmick. I know a guy who runs his mains thru 1 and IMO has 1 of the best sounding live acoustic setups around. He's been making a living playing solo gigs for years. To each his own, I suppose....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification