The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 07:47 PM

My two experiences with Martin neck resets were on a less than one year old M&T model, and a custom shop build that really needed a neck reset at about eight years, but I delayed until almost 23. (There were other build issues too discovered during the neck reset work, and that guitar sat largely unplayed for a few years).

In both cases, Martin initially resisted honoring the lifetime warranty, but persistence paid off and they eventually covered both. But that was 2006 and 2013. If they really are reducing their warranty coverage now and excluding neck resets when no damage is involved, that would be a major red flag for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 PM

1.5 years and Martin is indicating no warranty coverage? Ouch ... and a neck reset is ~$1,500? Well, happy w/ the 2 recent Martin purchases I've made but will be monitoring Martin's direction in this area closely.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM

I guess getting my '72's neck reset covered two years ago just got me under the wire.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I have my grandpa’s 1982 HD-28 and the 5 year warranty card is still in the case.

P.S. It needs a neck reset.
I just posted about my D-35 and a one year warranty.
Now that I see your post, I believe my warranty was actually 5 years not one
Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne View Post
1.5 years and Martin is indicating no warranty coverage? Ouch ... and a neck reset is ~$1,500? Well, happy w/ the 2 recent Martin purchases I've made but will be monitoring Martin's direction in this area closely.
More like $4-500.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxfloyd View Post
I've really been on the fence about getting a 000-15m or one of LA Guitar's custom OM-15's, but this is not the first instance I've heard of a relatively newer Martin 15 series guitar needing a neck reset so early, which is giving me pause about buying one.
It likely needed a neck reset when it left the factory, seriously. It didn't change so much in 1.5 years, in a case, in 50% relative humidity in my home, all this time.

UPDATE: I have some hope now having spoken with another person within the organization, who will try to help me. I'll keep everyone updated, if they're curious!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
More like $4-500.
UMGF thread seemed to indicate ~$1,500 or more installed (which is why I put a question mark after $). I'm glad you have info that confirms it's considerably less ... and that recent poster seems to be getting some attention/interest from Martin w/ their 1.5 year old guitar.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
UMGF thread seemed to indicate ~$1,500 or more installed (which is why I put a question mark after $). I'm glad you have info that confirms it's considerably less ... and that recent poster seems to be getting some attention/interest from Martin w/ their 1.5 year old guitar.
$1500 might be the cost for a complete re-necking. You almost certainly just need a simple neck re-set though.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Rise in the belly (bridge area) of the guitar is a factor, but most of the movement that leads to neck reset is in the upper bout.
If most of the dynamic forces of body change happen in the upper bout would this mean that Slope Shoulder Dreads are stronger?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Either someone misspoke or you misread it. A neck reset should be no more than $500...if that is the only work needed. Many repairmen charge less. For the sake of conversation, I'd put that int he $300-500 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
If most of the dynamic forces of body change happen in the upper bout would this mean that Slope Shoulder Dreads are stronger?
Not in my experience.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Actually, very early in *this* thread we saw this:

People still think (here and everywhere) that the neck joint itself is responsible for the need-to-reset.

Anyone have any knitting needles that I can jam into my ears...?
And risk voiding the lifetime warranty on my knitting needles? No thank you, Mr. Pattis.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
It likely needed a neck reset when it left the factory, seriously. It didn't change so much in 1.5 years, in a case, in 50% relative humidity in my home, all this time.

UPDATE: I have some hope now having spoken with another person within the organization, who will try to help me. I'll keep everyone updated, if they're curious!
Martin taking care of it, but not a neck reset, allegedly has a bridge that's way too high. I'll take everyone's word for it it, I guess.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Martin taking care of it, but not a neck reset, allegedly has a bridge that's way too high. I'll take everyone's word for it it, I guess.
FWIW, I'd buy that on a 15 Series guitars more so than Standard Series and up. While they have sometimes used excessively (IMO) thick bridges on Standard Series guitars, I have most often seen it on 15/16 Series instruments. Some have been near 0.400". If it's anywhere near that, I think you'll get better tone by going to a shorter, lighter bridge than by resetting the neck. That's what I did with my HD-28LSV. It wasn't an effort to save money, just the right thing to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion