The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Mold???

Hello,

I have a small walk-in closet where I keep my guitars. Humidifier running. Hygrometer reads between 45-55%. No surface is wet, but the air in the room definitely feels heavy and humid. Should I worry about mold? What should I watch out for?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I’d think that a small, dark humidified room would be an outstanding breeding ground for mold. Have you seen any?
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

The humidity is correct, but +1. I live a few miles from the coast, my house runs between 45-85% humidity, no mold but we run fans for white noise, and I don't generally use humidifiers. I DO have a small closet packed with instruments in cases, I haven't had any issues yet over the last 8 years, but it's ambient huimidity, I don't have anything running in the house.

I have purchased vintage guitars that smelled of mold (as well as cigarettes or pipe tobacco); they aren't pleasant because the mold gets into the fiber of the wood and stains. And they smell. Also I'm allergic to mold. I'd say keep an eye on them and use your nose or that of someone who can detect it, only because that is what I would do if I had to provide stable humidity in an arid environment. I would venture a guess that the case interiors might smell moldy before the guitars are seriously affected, though they will still pick up the odor.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 AM

I would be more concerned about mildew before mold. I've seen things that were wet and didn't have any airflow while they dried mildew up in a very short time. Thinking of fabrics (canvas tents, tarps, and others).
Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 AM

If the relative humidity stays below 60%, you are probably not going to get mold or mildew growth. Try an odor absorber in the closet as it may just be stagnant air.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion