The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Looking for input on improving note clarity on low E string

I've got a guitar that has some oddness to the notes on the low E string. If I pick the open low E it rings very nicely with a solid deep tone. Very satisfying. If I fret the low E at the 1st fret it still rings nicely with good clarity. However, when I fret the low E at frets 2 through 12 there is a noticeable drop off in the sustain and clarity of the notes. It sounds pretty much the same on each of the frets 2 through 12 so I don't think it is a fret seating issue. Notes at those frets on other strings ring clearly with good sustain.

I've also noticed that the clarity and sustain got progressively better as I changed strings from Martin 80/20 to Daddario 80/20 to Daddario PB. These are light gauge strings.

I assume it is just the nature of the beast with this particular guitar and that it might improve with playing time. I'm happy with it with the PB strings on it, but would be interested in trying different strings if it might help increase the clarity and sustain of those notes.

Any thoughts on things I could try to make it better? Any specific strings you think might improve it compared to the Daddario PB? It has ebony bridge pins. Do you think a different material pin for the low E might help? Something other than the bone saddle it currently has maybe?

Just looking for ideas. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:16 AM

What you have described is IMHO the nature of the beast to some extent and it's not just "your guitar."
One thing you can try is using a Nylon pick, say around a 1.0 thickness.
That will help. The downside is you may find it too harsh for the guitar in general to your ears. This can be overcome with technique as many will tell you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2018, 11:20 AM

That big thick ole E string sounds its best on any acoustic guitar played open. The shorter it gets the more "thuddy" it sounds. A different saddle and different strings can help but only so much. I really only play it up on the fretboard when I play bare chords. Once you go past fret 5 there are better string choices.

I had an Ovation that sounded "thuddy" even open. I took it back to the mothership in New Hartford and they seated the saddle better and it helped considerably open and at the first and second fret. But still "thuddy" as you went up like all my acoustics.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM

The first thing I would do is find a very good tech, explain your problem to him/her and get them to look at the guitar in general and do a complete set up. This includes looking at the inside of the instrument closely to make sure none of the soundboard braces have come loose. The materials used for the nut and saddle, depth/width of grooves, compensation etc can make a difference. Maybe you could try a denser version nut / saddle (Mammoth ivory maybe?)

The next step for me would be to send it to a reputable luthier for an evaluation. Shaving a little here and a little there might do a lot of good. These guys know how to voice a guitar to move it in the direction you want. It might not get you all the way there, just closer.

If that doesn't work, put some Medium tension strings (.056 for low E) on it and hope for the best.

Finally if not of the previous works, consider buying the guitar I have for sale on the forum (shameless plug but the basses are superb).

Cincy
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Also, as soon as the string is settled in, press down firmly with the edge of your thumbnail on top of the string, a quarter inch in front of the saddle, to bend a sharper string angle overtop the saddle - this noticeably helps to clarify fretted notes.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

The problem you describe seems to be fairly common, and complex. This thread might give some answers:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=494901
Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I like a .056' string on one of my guitars. Also some guitars need hundreds of hours to lose ghost notes. Play it a lot.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Also, as soon as the string is settled in, press down firmly with the edge of your thumbnail on top of the string, a quarter inch in front of the saddle, to bend a sharper string angle overtop the saddle - this noticeably helps to clarify fretted notes.
A quick update; this actually seems to have helped quite a bit. I tried a bone bridge pin first and didn't notice any difference vs the ebony. Then I tried this and there was a noticeable difference in clarity vs before. Frets 2-12 sound a lot closer to the string fretted at 1 than they did before.

I have no idea why that would make a difference, but thanks for the tip!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM

Another thought - the more you play your guitar the better it may open up .
trying different string gauges as well as brands and string types may help you define the sound your guitar has -dont give up on this - the more you learn about tone from strings, set up etc- the better guitartist you will become !
It will also help you control the beast, enhance its weaknesses and control its strengths - part of your guitars sound is you !
Keep the faith
Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Besides the nature of the beast, relative humidity has a pronounced effect on clarity and sustain as do various string brands. When the guitar is kept in an app. 40-45 indoor Rh it will benefit the sound. With strings it's important to experiment to find something which is closer to your desired taste. As for string brand and type I think Elixirs Nanoweb PB's do a pretty good job and have a somewhat brighter sound to my ears. The string's break angle may dampen the sound if the angle is too shallow and loose energy as well. Also make sure the string's ball end is properly seated for the best transferrance of vibrations to the top.

Hope you can get some improvement with this information, sorry if you already knew.

Ludwig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion