The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 PM

That should be a really really nice class-A amp. The guy that designed that is Mark Sampson, who, along with Rick Perotta started Matchless Amplifiers. I think this is the one he started making after splitting from Matchless, but if the build quality is anything like Matchless (and I've heard that it is), that thing really is a mil-spec, hand-wired tank of an amp with a really nice class-A chime to it.
Larrivee DV-10K
Larrivee L-03
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12
Breedlove Studio N250cre
Rogue brass resonator
PRS 'Studio' (10-top)
Rickenbacker 660-12 Mapleglo ('06)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender Nashville Tele
Ibanez Artist AR 420
Gibson SG Classic
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Long overdue, finally snapped some photos. Lighting in our house is horrible, so had to get them during the day.
Build quality is great and I love the piping with the grill cloth. The chicken head knobs are a nice look. Handle is a nice quality leather. Speaker outs and ohmage switch on the back as well as effects loop. Tubes are behind the metal grate.

'08 Norman Protege B18
'09 Walden D1040
'08 Rickenbacker 610
DeArmond Starfire Special
Old Today, 11:52 AM

So if anybody is still following or interested, thought Iíd give a few though thatís that came to me now that Iíve played the amp a few weeks and am over the ďhoneymoonĒ phase.

The overdrive is definitely a Vox tone overdrive. Thatís one thing I wanted and really enjoy in the amp. I love the drive of a nice el84 amp. The tone however is, as I said before, somewhere between Vox and Fender. It has more low end and is less shrill than a Vox amp. I owned 3 different AC30 amps on my time and just never clicked with them. They sound great, but werenít my feel. I really love the tone that comes out of this amp, and the single tone knob is extremely versatile. Like any tube amp, it sounds best cranked. Even with master and volume at 10 the notes still retain clarity. Thankfully, at 5 watts it isnít deafening to turn it up. It still sounds good at lower volumes, but a nice tube sound comes in around 2/3 volume in my opinion. I think the Celestion Vintage 30 is a wonderful compliment to this amp. Then tone from the speaker is wonderful and pleasing. Itís not at all muddy or shrill and it pushes a lot of air. Knowing the speaker was a high quality speaker was one reason I chose this over an AC4. Iím intrigued to try the amp through some cabs and see what it sounds like with different speakers, but I will not be swapping out the V30 in it. It did have stock tubes that said nothing more than ďChinaĒ on them. I swapped out the EL84 for a Sovtek I had lying around and the the two 12ax7 tubes for some Electro Harmonix 12at7 tubes, all that I just had lying around. The new tubes made a noticeable difference in sound. I will at some point likely get JJís for it, but Iím in no hurry as it sounds great already.

So all in all I think these amps are a great bargain. I payed $300 shopped, which would be the same as a used AC4 and a speaker upgrade. Iím very pleased with the sound and just as much the look of this amp. I donít foresee any issues with its build, everything about the amp feels very solid.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'09 Walden D1040
'08 Rickenbacker 610
DeArmond Starfire Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars