The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Default New Song - That Little Dash

Last year I attended the funeral of my cousin, who died in his late fifties of cancer. I was struck by something the celebrant said, about the significance of the dash between the dates of birth and death. That dash is very small, but it stands for the whole life that was lived between those dates. That's the mark that matters, more than the dates themselves.
So, here is "That Little Dash", in memory of Kevin.
Go to http://soundcloud.com/edrobins47/that-little-dash-v1

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Nice job on this, Ed.

I am sorry about the loss of your cousin. Nice eulogy for him in your song.

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the comments, Glenn, much appreciated. By the way, loved your rendition of April, Come She will. Very pretty!

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

Old 01-25-2018, 05:37 PM

Absolutely lovely. The first time I heard The Dash as a poem was at my dad's funeral. So you wrote this song inspired by that poem? Very, very well done. And I, too, offer my condolences for the loss of your cousin.

...Now I'm listening to the Ballad of Fred Wilson from your Soundcloud. That is also a nice example of your talent, soft-sung and a pleasure to listen to.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Very nice and thought provoking...A dash is most appropriate: when you are young you dash around, when you are in middle age your hopes are dashed and when you are old you're dashed if you can remember anything.

I could hear the song in different styles, being sung by Celine Dion, Jacques Brel...

My favourite song commenting on the passage of time is Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days" (originally a Russian song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean Ed View Post
Last year I attended the funeral of my cousin, who died in his late fifties of cancer. I was struck by something the celebrant said, about the significance of the dash between the dates of birth and death. That dash is very small, but it stands for the whole life that was lived between those dates. That's the mark that matters, more than the dates themselves.
So, here is "That Little Dash", in memory of Kevin.
Go to http://soundcloud.com/edrobins47/that-little-dash-v1
Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
Absolutely lovely. The first time I heard The Dash as a poem was at my dad's funeral. So you wrote this song inspired by that poem? Very, very well done. And I, too, offer my condolences for the loss of your cousin.

...Now I'm listening to the Ballad of Fred Wilson from your Soundcloud. That is also a nice example of your talent, soft-sung and a pleasure to listen to.
Thanks, Ryler. The poem is news to me, but probably not to the celebrant, who didn't quote it, but spoke on very similar lines. I've just looked at the poem - very simple and poignant. Thanks for the tip! Ed.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Very nice and thought provoking...A dash is most appropriate: when you are young you dash around, when you are in middle age your hopes are dashed and when you are old you're dashed if you can remember anything.

I could hear the song in different styles, being sung by Celine Dion, Jacques Brel...

My favourite song commenting on the passage of time is Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days" (originally a Russian song).
Thanks, Owen. I'm dashed if I can remember words, so have to have them in front of me when I sing. Old age! I agree with you on Mary Hopkins' song - very wistful! Ed.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 PM

Lovely. Dark, but lovely.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:46 PM

Thanks, Rick. I appreciate the comment. Ed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell