The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Soundcraft Notepad 12fx compact mixer

My main rig is a Soundcraft MFXi8 which is a lovely relatively compact mixer, usually run with a pair of K10's and sometimes with one or two K8's in monitor positions. Either foldback style or on forks backing the 10's

But now n then I do small room cafe style things either solo or maybe a duo partner. Reasonably quiet and casual. So a small mixer to run through one K8 methinks. Simplify and lighten the load in n out ya know.

Looked at this one being a good compromise with quality and function with a very small footprint. Already having a Soundcraft it was easy to lean this way.

For a simple very compact unit, about the size of an A4 page, this one does the job. It is not quite as nice in any way as my bigger one, but it has good pres, basic effects, pretty much only light delay or reverb needed. Three band EQ, easy to see and use knobs. No mutes or on off switch are minor deficiencies but for the size you have to give up a little.

Done a few little solo things so far and I am happy with it. Does all I need and keeps the footprint very small. Guitar and vocal.

One other thing, I meant use a compact Roland speaker stand which I had not realised was 38mm (1.5") not the now standard 35mm. Only ever used this before with my AC60. So had to get a cheap (Gator) sub pole to replace the centre pole on the stand. Easy fix and comes with a 38mm adapter... huh. Good thing I sussed it all out beforehand, might have been embarrassing. Live n learn.

Kris
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 PM

I have a Notepad-8fx coming in on Wednesday to run with a QSC K12. What do you think about the reverb on the 12fx?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 PM

I'm in the school of... use just a pinch of reverb to get a hint of 'wet, boing' sound.. then turn it down a pinch. I played with both the reverb and the delay settings and they're perfectly usable for light use. If you go 'surfing' maybe not.

Kris
Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM

I got the SoundCraft Notepad 8fx a little while ago and it’s become my main mixer for solo gigs (Yamaha MG10x was my previous solo gig mixer). It’s great! I think the mic pres are a lot better than the Yamaha’s, the reverb is more than ‘good enough’ and I love the TINY footprint!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 PM

I'm interested in the 12fx. How does the combination aux/fx knob work when you're running monitors? Does it affect both the volume to the aux out and the level of effects to the main output? If so it seems like it would be hard to get a good monitor mix and control the level of the effects.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 PM

BG3...

I have never used monitors or external effects with this little mixer, as it is pretty simple and not really designed to give that level of flexibility. Though I think you could daisy chain monitors off the single stereo out. If I remember right the effects are post fader, and the Aux is pre so a bit of juggling the Master effect knob and the Master Fader might give you what you need.

Still I think you're asking more than it is really meant for. It juggles these things to operate as a recording interface and a simple live mixer. You may need to look at something a little more advanced on the routing and bus options.

Kris
Old 03-24-2019, 04:13 AM

Krisls,
How does this compare to the Yamaha 10MGxu you mentioned? I am looking at both and can’t decide. How do the effects compare and does the compression in the Yamaha offer much improvement. I’ve tried going smaller before but some functions I miss - like a midrange, mute buttons, channel panning, HPF and good effects. I tried digital, but that is way too many things to monkey around with and I spent my practice time adjusting and not practicing, soiwamt to go back to manual.

Also, I am in sales and marketing so I want to also use this to create some podcast. I see the Soundcraft 12fx has 4 x 4, which is great, but I also read it is rather hard to set up with MS Windows based systems. Any experinceusing this as an interface?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 AM

I have the Yamaha MG10XU and it is excellent. But the Notepad has a high-Z switch for passive guitars (K&K, JJB, Schatten HFN, magnetic), which the Yamaha does not. That is a very useful feature to be able to plug any guitar directly into the mixer and add a little reverb.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-24-2019, 05:35 AM

That was Kalani actually that mentioned the Yamaha. I have some limited experience with the slightly larger Yam's but not that one. I think they're decent mixers and are more or less on par with the Soundcraft and A&H.

I slightly prefer the SCraft pre's, effects much the same all round really. The Compression might be useful with podcasting but is limited really. EQ is fine but again slightly limited at this level, to get the wider bands and mutes you would need to step up a level.

At a guess I would say the Notepad would do mostly what you need in a small package. It does do 4x4 I played with it briefly on a Windows machine and tried to do a software upgrade. Gave up and went back the original installed version. Pluses and minuses really. Small things that may or may not matter to you as mentioned above. I do like it for what I use it for a simple neat little live mixer for small gigs.

Kris
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 AM

The compact size, compact power supply, and most importantly the high-Z switch really impress me. My MG10XU will be up on eBay shortly (too keep the house clutter down) and I've backordered one at MF (I've got soon to vest Backstage points).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Ive been looking at these as well.
Do you find you miss the sweepable mid
that you have on the mx series?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Guest 829

The lack of mid sweeps are the one thing that stops me getting a small notepad desk.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo21 View Post
The lack of mid sweeps are the one thing that stops me getting a small notepad desk.
That would be a deal breaker for me too. I really love my EFX8. I just wish it had HPF's.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification