The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Angry Weird flanging effect with TC-Helicon Play Acoustic

Dear all - I have a TC-Helicon Play Acoustic which I absolutely love. It makes my little baby Martin (LX1E) sound like a dreadnought and does great things to my voice without sounding over the top.

I recently acquired a Tanglewood 12 string and tried it out with the P-A. It sounded just great... until I used the HIT pedal. I have this set up for a loose double to thicken my voice for the choruses. It works fine with the Martin 6 string but with the 12 string the guitar tone goes really weird. It seems to flange heavily.

I have the guitar FX - delay and uMod (chorus) - on two separate switches on a SW-3 and they are both off.

I am guessing that the mic is picking it up but it sounds horrible and I cannot seem to kill it.

Any ideas?

David
Old 12-21-2017, 03:54 PM

I'd wager that the "loose double" on your vocal mic is doing the same to whatever bleed it's picking up from the 12-string. A 12-string doubled with just a smidgen of delay is going to start phase cancellation that will mimic flanging.

My guess...

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 12-21-2017, 08:21 PM

Yes I agree. I have a hard time with my Martin dread getting picked up in the mic. I turn the mic gain down below what is recommended. It also depends on how much sound bounces around off walls.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:44 AM

Thanks folks. All makes sense. Guess I’ll have to do without the doubling when using the 12 string.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:08 AM

Try to turn down the mic gain first. Maybe try using a sound hole plug as well.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:25 AM

David,
What kind of mic are you using? I have the same Play Acoustic and am interested if the pattern of different mic's will affect the guitars I will be using. Thanks in advance,
frank
Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
David,

What kind of mic are you using? I have the same Play Acoustic and am interested if the pattern of different mic's will affect the guitars I will be using. Thanks in advance,

frank

I have a Shure SM58. I had a reply from TC-H tech support who suggested changing the phase setting on the “guitar anti-feedback” page. I haven’t yet tried this but will report on the difference it makes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
distortion, play acoustic, tc-helicon