The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Default 12 String Pickup

I am in research mode for a good 12 string pickup, primarily for use in a live acoustic duo setting. It will be going in a Larrivee L-05-12. We play through amps or PA's depending on venue, so I need something that will be versatile. Simplicity/ease of use is also a concern.

Currently my 2 gigging guitars (Seagull S6 and Halcyon Baritone) are equipped with LR Baggs M80's. Great sound on both to my ear, not so much with the 12 string...

I am currently leaning towards the K&K Pure 12 String pickup, but have read about feedback issues. Perhaps someone can elaborate here, and also provide alternatives?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited by H2O; 12-30-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:39 PM

Wouldn't a 12-string require two pickups?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:19 PM

Maybe a Sunrise? Leo Kottke used to use one to good effect on his LKSM Taylors, along with some kind of film SBT. I have a couple and they sound good on almost anything.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

My 12 string was built by mark Angus in 1983, and I've owned it and gigged with it since then...

Started off with a magnetic soundhole pickup which was marginal, UNTIL I started using GHS White Bronze strings... apparently, phosphor bronze doesn't register through a magnetic pickup like nickel/stainless strings do... then that old Seymour
Duncan sounded just fine...

In the late 80's, I switched to a UST, a Fishman Matrix Acoustic Natural; had the same pickup in my 6 string Angus. Had a lot of success with that pickup; I would put an SM-57 on the body/soundhole to give the sound a bit of breath and string noise, but all in all it was a very useful pickup and fairly good for not feeding back.

About 8 years ago, I had the Anthem SL pickup installed in both the Angus guitars, and I continue to use them. I do feel that the installation changed the tone and lessened the unplugged volume of the guitars, but the amplified sound is good enough that I haven't switched them out. Good on feedback resistance, great tone, but not that "direct" sound that you get from either a soundhole or UST pickup... still very good, and much more like the guitars themselves...

I have a K&K in my Goodall Grand Concert, and it's okay... needs a lot more 'fiddling" to get a good sound from it; an external preamp of some sort is nearly a requirement, in my opinion. The K&K is also kinda touchy about feedback issues, especially when using the dry signal from the guitar without a preamp.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 PM

From my experience: If you need lots of low end get the K&K 12 string. If you need very little low end get the Lyric TruMic. If you need feedback resistance get a Fishman Matrix and Aura pedal.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Check out Christopher Cozad's experience. I've got the system must need to get time to install it in my Hoffman SJ 12. Had very good results with two 6 strings.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=494049]
Old 12-31-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I am currently leaning towards the K&K Pure 12 String pickup, but have read about feedback issues. Perhaps someone can elaborate here, and also provide alternatives?
Don't get the 12-string model, use the "regular" six-string Pure Mini (smaller transducers). Got one in a Guild 12, sounds great.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I'm making a list for further research, are there any other pickups I should be considering?

Gracias!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM

I have one for you. The handmade Dazzo pickup. Go to Dazzopickups.com and get Teddy’s phone number. Teddy will answer his phone and you tell him what you are looking for in your live sound and he will send you the appropriate pickup to match your guitar, gear and sound expectations. He will also take you through the install process which really is easier than installing K and K’s. They run $215. They are similar to Trance and KandK pickups but with no battery on board. They sound good set flat without a need for a lot of EQ to “fix” the issues. I run all mine through a Red Eye DI and get superior mic-like results.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Have you tried the sunrise? As someone else stated, Leo Kottke has used this for years. Since you like the m80 you may want to try the sunrise. Listen to Leo’s live sound. I use the longwire version on my six strings and 12 string, and it just slips in and out easily without even loosening the strings as long as the sound hole is at least 4” in diameter. I know it looks big but it slips right in and out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification