The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Dual Source: Anthem SL + K&K

I've been interested in dual sources for many years. It started with the (full) Anthem + K&K (see thread). Because there are no electronics in the (mono) end jack, it's easy enough to wire up a stereo jack and wire the 2 signals in.

Then I tried the Lyric + K&K and experimented with that in a variety of ways. Not quite as simple since all the electronics are in the end jack, but Baggs was smart enough to design in a stereo jack and solder tabs so it's pretty easy to wire up a 2nd source to the Ring tab.

At some point I looked into the Anthem SL, but since there were no solder tabs (like the Lyric) I gave up. But it's always nagged at me that I thought it was probably possible. So recently I bought another one and figured it out. No solder tabs on the circuit board, but you can wire directly to the jack. The hardest part is sneaking a wire in through everything. I used a twisted pair of single wires because one has to go on top (red) and one has to go on bottom (black). See pictures.

Pictures #1: red signal wire (on bottom) connected to ring jack, black ground (on top) to chassis ground.

Pictures #2: Ring jack, red wire. The other big tab on the left is the switch, don't connect the ground to that or you'll drain your battery in about 2 minutes.

Pictures #3: All done. See previous threads for information on connectors used.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 01-02-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

It sure seems that the bridgeplate's "job" could be compromised with all that stuff hanging on there (the True Mic and the K&K transducers... not to mention being very crowded!

Not a concern for you? Notice any degradation in the unplugged volume or tone?

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple of questions.

1) The usual location for the Tru Mic and the K&K sensors is the same. What kind of compromise did you work out to mount them both?

2) It seems probable that the Element preamp has a fixed gain, since the Tru Mic level is what needs to be adjusted to get a good balance between the Tru Mic highs and the Element lows. Is the Pure Mini's signal close enough in level to the Element signal that its possible to adjust the Tru Mic level for a good balance between the Tru Mic highs and Pure Mini lows?

I'm curious about the Pure Mini level (in comparison to the Element UST level) because I'm contemplating having a local luthier wire three JJB sensors to the Fishman Clearwave "barndoor" preamp in one of my guitars. (The JJB sensors are my "plan B", if a PUTW #27 SBT doesn't prove satisfactory. This particular luthier usually installs the JJB sensors passively with a Switchcraft strap-jack, but I suspect he'd find the JJB/Clearwave preamp combo an interesting project.)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 AM

I made a terrible mistake and connected the signal ground to the switch... instead of chassis ground. I will update the pictures above.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
It sure seems that the bridgeplate's "job" could be compromised with all that stuff hanging on there (the True Mic and the K&K transducers... not to mention being very crowded!

Not a concern for you? Notice any degradation in the unplugged volume or tone?
Yeah it's kind of messy in there, but I've ran with dual sourced setups for years and it works. Not concerned about the weight, most of it is anchored on the sides of the guitar.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have a couple of questions.

1) The usual location for the Tru Mic and the K&K sensors is the same. What kind of compromise did you work out to mount them both?

2) It seems probable that the Element preamp has a fixed gain, since the Tru Mic level is what needs to be adjusted to get a good balance between the Tru Mic highs and the Element lows. Is the Pure Mini's signal close enough in level to the Element signal that its possible to adjust the Tru Mic level for a good balance between the Tru Mic highs and Pure Mini lows?

I'm curious about the Pure Mini level (in comparison to the Element UST level) because I'm contemplating having a local luthier wire three JJB sensors to the Fishman Clearwave "barndoor" preamp in one of my guitars. (The JJB sensors are my "plan B", if a PUTW #27 SBT doesn't prove satisfactory. This particular luthier usually installs the JJB sensors passively with a Switchcraft strap-jack, but I suspect he'd find the JJB/Clearwave preamp combo an interesting project.)
1) See LR Baggs suggested (alternate) mounting locations below. I have always mounted the tru-mic (anthem, SL, lyric) behind the bridge pins to make room for the K&K... it works.

2) Not really, strange as it is the passive K&K has a hotter signal than the powered Anthem. You need a mixer or something to adjust the level between each one, and I think you need EQ for the K&K to remove some of the mid-range but others disagree. The Anthem doesn't need much EQ, but in dual source situations, I often use low or high pass filters to remove parts of the signal. So when I run a hum bucking sound hole pickup, I remove the low end at 1000 Hz to keep it from having phase interactions with the K&K. I may employ a similar EQ to the Anthem.... just really want the mic from it, not the UST. But the nice thing about the Anthem, is if I want to go simple... I can just use a mono cable into it and not mess with the dual sourced K&K.

'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I had misunderstood and thought that you had actually replaced the Element UST with the Pure Mini. I recall that there was one report (back in an earlier 2012 or 2013 thread) of a luthier doing that with apparent success.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I had misunderstood and thought that you had actually replaced the Element UST with the Pure Mini. I recall that there was one report (back in an earlier 2012 or 2013 thread) of a luthier doing that with apparent success.
I tried this a few years back, I didn't think it worked that well. The Baggs preamp applies and EQ to the UST, and that curve would likely not be right for the K&K.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Rschultz,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I started a thread last week asking about this very topic. You've tried exactly what I am interested in trying - pairing the K&K with a TruMic using Bagg's preamp systems.

However, I would prefer to go the mono route with the Anthem SL because I do a lot of open mics and don't have the luxury of stereo output/input.

My understanding is that the SL has a fixed crossover and the mic volume is just a blending function. So, I wonder if the baked in EQ in the SL preamp makes much difference (compared to the full Anthem) since it's just handling frequencies below 250 Hz?

Your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Rschultz,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I started a thread last week asking about this very topic. You've tried exactly what I am interested in trying - pairing the K&K with a TruMic using Bagg's preamp systems.

However, I would prefer to go the mono route with the Anthem SL because I do a lot of open mics and don't have the luxury of stereo output/input.

My understanding is that the SL has a fixed crossover and the mic volume is just a blending function. So, I wonder if the baked in EQ in the SL preamp makes much difference (compared to the full Anthem) since it's just handling frequencies below 250 Hz?
I know UST's have a bad rep here on AGF, but in the case of the Anthem SL having a crossover at 250 Hz (as you mention), I wouldn't worry too much about it if you just want to go mono. It's great by itself. Give it a shot if you want, but I don't think you'll have very good results simply plugging the K&K into the UST port of the Anthem.

FYI, I go mono out in my dual source setups. But yes, it requires a mixer of some kind. For years I used a 2 channel combo amp as the mixer. Recently I got a Helix, which works great as a mixer, and has tons of routing and effect options.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
If you can dig that up, it would be an interesting read... I couldn't make it work.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM

This was the Dec. 2013 thread. The claim (about a successful substitution of the Pure Mini for the Element) is made in the first post. Much discussion followed, and you were a thread participant yourself, rschultz.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2B+K%26amp%3BK

Also note comment #15 where a second member mentions that he's heard the Anthem/Pure Mini combo in question, and testifies that it sounded very natural to him.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-02-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
This was the Dec. 2013 thread. The claim (about a successful substitution of the Pure Mini for the Element) is made in the first post. Much discussion followed, and you were a thread participant yourself, rschultz.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2B+K%26amp%3BK
Hmmmm, yes I see. TaylorCocobolo said he's heard it and it sounds nice, and that he uses a Venue to dial it in.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 01-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the continued discussion. The guitar in question has a long thru saddle and cannot accommodate a UST without routing the slot, which I'd rather not do. So, I plan on using the K&K as the piezo in a single, or dual source system. The Anthem SL is attractive because the Tru Mic is movable and sounds good for the highs. It might be a bit too mid focused, so I liked the idea of the side of the bridge plate in your diagram.

Cuki found the patent drawings and sent it to me. I can't post it here, but essentially, the pickup source in the SL goes through a high pass filter, a "processor", and a low pass filter. They do not specify what the "processor" is. Compression, phase reversal, etc? We don't think it's EQ because the do the HPF and LPF as distinct stages. So what does this mean? Exactly what you surmised. Regardless of other gain or impedance issues, the K&K pickup is unlikely to be reproduced faithfully with the "special sauce" Baggs preamp.

I'm back to my original plan: Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo with the K&K in place of the Element. The Duo preamp is analog and has bass and treble pots, and no other processing to my knowledge. It's not very feedback resistant, but it sounds pretty good and it's simple. The mic, on the other hand, is inferior to the TruMic. The Duncan setup is best when you're primarily satisfied with the pickup sound, but want to add air - and you don't want external processing equipment. That's the situation I am in.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Quick comment on the KK + Anthem... it is easily wired up in the (full) Anthem version because the preamp (mounted on the sound hole) has a jack for the UST. So plugging in the K&K instead of the UST is rather easy once you solder a 2.5mm male connector to the K&K wires.

But the Anthem SL's preamp is in the endpin and the UST is hard soldered to the circuit board. You could de-solder it and wire in a connector... but I wouldn't recommend it.
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification