The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Pan 12string zero fret question

This is odd. The zero fret planes out height wise with the rest of the frets. As if the nut carries the string height. This is of course a project guitar haven't strung up yet. Could this be? Or did someone alter a screw it up? The zero fret looks original and not necessarily filed way down. The nut is maybe non original.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM

That's about right. The nut slots should be deeper, and just act as a "placeholder" for the strings, since the zero fret sets the string height. I'm sure the less-expensive guitar manufacturers did this because it simplified things; though some builders today do this so that open and closed chords have the same "timbre..."
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
That's about right. The nut slots should be deeper, and just act as a "placeholder" for the strings, since the zero fret sets the string height. I'm sure the less-expensive guitar manufacturers did this because it simplified things; though some builders today do this so that open and closed chords have the same "timbre..."
that is the way normal zero frets work. Perhaps I'm not clear on my explanation, the zero fret is the same height as the first fret, as if the nut sets the height, seems not right.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
that is the way normal zero frets work. Perhaps I'm not clear on my explanation, the zero fret is the same height as the first fret, as if the nut sets the height, seems not right.
That's the way it should work... just like if you capoed the first fret, the second fret should be the same height as the first...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
That's the way it should work... just like if you capoed the first fret, the second fret should be the same height as the first...
Okay, you made me think for a second but...Something, usually the zero fret or the nut, sets the height before the first fret. Since the placement of the frets and strings is mathematical, I'm thinking this will not work, not to mention there is no break angle that you would get with a capo.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 AM

The more important question is what is the height of the base of the nut slots compared to the first two frets (ie zero fret + first fret) . If the nut slots are higher than the first frets the slots need to be filed lower.

As Louie says, the frets , including the zero fret are all supposed to be on the same plane. The nut slots can be filed down as far as you want ... the lower the better ... as long as the slots are lower than the frets, all is good.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 AM

I'll pile on and agree with Louie and Murry, that looks OK to me. I typically build with a zero fret, and it should be leveled and dressed just like all the rest of the frets.
et al
Old 12-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm just finishing up a Greco (very cool little guitar) and the zero fret needed to be higher than the first fret to get about .010 on the first string and .030 on the 6th. A little high but tolerant . The neck is not adjustable but its fairly straight. I'll make a new nut for this Pan, string er up and see what I got. Stay tuned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair