The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 PM

James Taylor could use a tin can on the end of a piece of string and still sound amazing....!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Where's the guy who always says, "He should have gotten a K&K"?
As a non-K&K user I "lol'd" at this.

Did you know the K&K is the only pickup that sounds good? As a matter of fact, studies have shown it's the only one that even works. The others just confuse you.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpicker View Post
Well I was 30 years trucking then, I did have a dvd of JT Move Over. Now last few years retired playing folk & gospel to older seniors in nursing homes want best sound I can afford. Running my fairly new acoustics through my just received Aura Spectrum. I hadn’t heard of them till a few months ago. Sorry late to the party. Best amplified tone I’ve heard.
What Gospel songs do you sing for them. I'm thinking of doing some myself.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
What Gospel songs do you sing for them. I'm thinking of doing some myself.
I’ve been singing for 46 years. I left heavy acid rock bands & learned mostly southern gospel in churches. Now I split between gospel folk ( l learned 4 great JT & NY songs), & some old country. “Why Me Lord, Who am I, Lord I hope this day is good, Fire & Rain, Caroline on my Mind, Close Your Eyes,Heart of Gold, Harvest Moon, Wichita Lineman, Time I get to Phoenix), many more. Most the JT, NY, GC, DW songs learned in last 3 months. Good luck. They seem to enjoy songs every week & it’s very rewarding to your heart.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpicker View Post
I’ve been singing for 46 years. I left heavy acid rock bands & learned mostly southern gospel in churches. Now I split between gospel folk ( l learned 4 great JT & NY songs), & some old country. “Why Me Lord, Who am I, Lord I hope this day is good, Fire & Rain, Caroline on my Mind, Close Your Eyes,Heart of Gold, Harvest Moon, Wichita Lineman, Time I get to Phoenix), many more. Most the JT, NY, GC, DW songs learned in last 3 months. Good luck. They seem to enjoy songs every week & it’s very rewarding to your heart.
Thank you. I know several of those songs.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
He’s been using the Aura for years.
Hi DavidE

Actually James has been using a Tonebone PZ-Pre for several years (with his LB-6 pickup). He's an explorer, and messes around with new pickup configurations every few years.

His tech (David Morgan who is the sound engineer for several 'big' names) has done interviews and explained in a couple articles how he and James arrived at the Tone-bone decision a few years back. On some of the videos of his 2015 tour you can see it on the floor occasionally (they don't tend to shoot his feet in his videos).

I'm trying to remember if it was on his latest Austin City Limits or Musician's Friend Concert appearances (or perhaps on Jools Holland from Gt Britain), but I've seen it right in front of him on the floor.

Sounds as good on those videos playing on our 'big system' in the living room as it always has.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DavidE

Actually James has been using a Tonebone PZ-Pre for several years (with his LB-6 pickup). He's an explorer, and messes around with new pickup configurations every few years.

His tech (David Morgan who is the sound engineer for several 'big' names) has done interviews and explained in a couple articles how he and James arrived at the Tone-bone decision a few years back. On some of the videos of his 2015 tour you can see it on the floor occasionally (they don't tend to shoot his feet in his videos).

I'm trying to remember if it was on his latest Austin City Limits or Musician's Friend Concert appearances (or perhaps on Jools Holland from Gt Britain), but I've seen it right in front of him on the floor.

Sounds as good on those videos playing on our 'big system' in the living room as it always has.

He does use the Tonebone but he then runs an unbalanced signal from the PZ into the Aura, which has custom images. I imagine he found the combination sounded better than running straight into the Aura and he seems to have a line out of the PZ to the board so it may serve as a backup. .

Also, he supposedly switched to the Matrix for sometime when he had the custom images made but didn’t like it and went back to the LB6.

Source! http://www.mixonline.com/news/tours/...-taylor/368277
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 11-11-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
He does use the Tonebone but he then runs an unbalanced signal from the PZ into the Aura, which has custom images. I imagine he found the combination sounded better than running straight into the Aura and he seems to have a line out of the PZ to the board so it may serve as a backup. .

Also, he supposedly switched to the Matrix for sometime when he had the custom images made but didn’t like it and went back to the LB6.

Source! http://www.mixonline.com/news/tours/...-taylor/368277
I read a post of all his & his bands setup to record in his very nice plush woody barn 300 Feet from his house rural Mass. They described instrumentation pickups DI & even the types of mics used. Said he uses small mic on guitar some & a $10,000 Neumann U67. Looks like a $3,000- 5,000 U87. Said he relies more on mics while not singing then cut back & relies out of guitar on his pickup/Tonebone/Aura System while singing with guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification