The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Pickup Question - LR Baggs Micro EQ problems

For over a decade, I never plugged in my Seagull M6 guitar, which has a factory LR Baggs Micro EQ. After all that time, I was not even sure if it even worked anymore.

Recently I bought a Fishman Artist and eventually got around to plugging it in and...It sounds fine at times, but I get some get some snap, crackle, and pop and with the volume on the pickup turned up, soft humming and some local radio.

With the same cable in the same channel, my other guitar (B-Band Crescent II pickup) comes through very clean with zero noise or interference.

The scratchy pots will probably quiet up after some cleaning and more use, but the humming and radio noise make me wonder...

Besides the age and lack of use, is the interference something inherent in the older pickup? Am I better of just replacing it with something newer?
If so, what you y'all recommend?

Or would some re-breaking in and a decent cleaning be worth the effort?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 AM

RFI can be annoying for sure. Any length of wire
Can become an antenna. The length of which matches
the frequency of your local radio station. Best thing to do
is make sure your using a balanced system. If you are
plugging a 1/4 inch jack into your pa you are unbalanced ..
Try an xlr out di box and a mic cable to the pa .. should work.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understood your answer as it applies to my situation. Maybe I didn't explain it well...

I'm plugging straight from my guitar to my amplifier...1/4 standard guitar cable all the way. I don't know of any guitars that use an XLR cable, and no PA is involved. And the problem only occurs with the one guitar.

At this point, I'm considering that maybe I just need to clean the endpin jack. Could dirt and oxidation from years of non-use cause the problems I described?

I'll give it a try anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification