The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 AM

Default Best vocal mic to avoid picking up guitar bleed

I noticed while working on some looping and adjustments of guitar tone that my guitar is feeding through the mic more than I would like. The guitar tone is great, but the mic pulls in a bright, trebley tone. If I unplug the mic, my guitar tone is exactly where I like it.

I use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic so both guitar and vocal feeds Into the same unit. I have the mic gain set per the manufacturers instructions.

Was wondering if there is a different kind of mic to use to avoid this? I currently have a Sennheiser 835 and Shure sm58.

Any ideas or is this a technique or positioning issue?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM

You could switch to a super cardioid pattern like a beta58, Senn 945 or EV967. The tighter pattern should eliminate some of that excess pick up but I can't tell you if it will be enough to fix the issue.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I noticed while working on some looping and adjustments of guitar tone that my guitar is feeding through the mic more than I would like. The guitar tone is great, but the mic pulls in a bright, trebley tone. If I unplug the mic, my guitar tone is exactly where I like it.

I use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic so both guitar and vocal feeds Into the same unit. I have the mic gain set per the manufacturers instructions.

Was wondering if there is a different kind of mic to use to avoid this? I currently have a Sennheiser 835 and Shure sm58.

Any ideas or is this a technique or positioning issue?
Have you positioned the mic so the null, the area of least sensitivity, is pointing at the guitar. This is directly at the rear of the mic. This will position the mic at a rather vertical angle, but it should work just fine in that orientation. Also position the mic very close to the mouth and roll off bass if necessary.

If you decide to go for a hypercardioid, be aware that the null in a hyper is not directly behind the mic but is instead at about 120 degrees rather than 180.

A bidirectional or figure 8 mic offers the deepest cleanest null at 90 degrees, but the rear sensitivity makes it less useful in a live situation.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 PM

The Audix OM5 has great rejection. I use them as vocal mics for rock bands.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Guest4562

A headset mic. It brings on other problems, but will solve your present one.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Thanks A-Mac. Didn't think of that and that also gets me away from dragging a mic stand. Do you have a good one in mind?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
The biggest downside to a headset mic is that it takes away all efforts at proper mic technique. I 've never been satisfied with the compromises to use one in a live setting. Headsets should be reserved for bike riding singers like Peter Gabriel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwn_hnoS5Y

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 12-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks A-Mac. Didn't think of that and that also gets me away from dragging a mic stand. Do you have a good one in mind?
Price ranges run the gamut for head-worn mics. I've never considered them a compromise but don't do it much anymore. The Shure BLX14/P31 will run you around $300 and the Sennheiser EW 152 G3 around $600. There are higher and lower priced ones. Too cheap and you get into build quality. Generally your mic placement and/or proper settings at the board can eliminate that problem. Is the mic actually picking up the guitar or your monitor or main speakers?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification