The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Loudbox Mini Aux Inputs

My Fishman Loudbox Mini has two aux inputs: a 1/4" and a 1/8". The instruction manual says "Both inputs may be used at the same time"; however, that doesn't work on mine, tho each one works fine separately. Is that normal? Is the instruction manual mistaken?
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-20-2016, 07:16 AM

Well, anyone?
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Greg, what are you plugging into the jacks and are the plugs of a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) type?
From the manuals block diagram the jacks appear to be in parallel. It's possible one device you're plugging in has a low impedance and may be loading down the signal from the other source.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Mark, I had a line from my guitar preamp (line out) plugged into the 1/4 inch aux input, and it worked fine. Then I plugged in a line from my iPod into the 1/8 inch aux input and the audio crapped out on me. You could hear it but it was very faint and distorted.
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Mark, it looks like the impedance on the iPhone (not iPad like I said) is indeed very low. So that's it!
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-22-2016, 12:19 AM

Is the 1/4" a standard guitar cable? If so, try inserting it to the first click.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:06 AM

Okay, I did a little experimenting and here is what I found. I plugged the iPhone into an EQ pedal and plugged that into the 1/8" aux jack in order to present a higher impedance. Same result. Very low volume on the iPhone, no audio on the guitar/preamp plugged into the 1/4" aux jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Is the 1/4" a standard guitar cable? If so, try inserting it to the first click.
So, I tried this, and guess what, it worked! With the 1/4" plug (standard TS) inserted halfway, everything worked fine. And It worked equally well whether the iPhone was plugged directly into the 1/8" jack or run through the EQ pedal first, although the EQ pedal allowed real improvement to the audio.

Thanks for the help MarkF and texasdave!
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-23-2016, 12:05 PM

I think as Texasdave suspected the sleeve of the TS instrument plug may have been shorting part of the signal to ground when fully inserted. Good to hear it's working now
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM

I plugged my cell phone LG3, into my Mini's 1/8" aux all the way and it sounded amazing. I used a standard chord with two male stereo (Sleave-Ring-Tip) 1/8 jacks on each end.

I read in the specs that both the 1/4 and 1/8 aux are stereo plugs but are wired back to mono inside the box, they go to the same place, and you can actually run signals into each at the same time.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
I plugged my cell phone LG3, into my Mini's 1/8" aux all the way and it sounded amazing. I used a standard chord with two male stereo (Sleave-Ring-Tip) 1/8 jacks on each end.

I read in the specs that both the 1/4 and 1/8 aux are stereo plugs but are wired back to mono inside the box, they go to the same place, and you can actually run signals into each at the same time.
My iPhone sounds okay plugged into the 1/8" aux except it sounds a little flat. Running it through MXR 10-band EQ pedal before plugging into the aux jack really enhances the audio. It was when I plugged in my guitar/preamp into the 1/4" aux (with mono 1/4" plug) while the iPhone was plugged into the 1/8" aux that things went south, until I backed off on the 1/4 plug one click per texasdave's suggestion. Now all is good.
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-31-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
My iPhone sounds okay plugged into the 1/8" aux except it sounds a little flat. Running it through MXR 10-band EQ pedal before plugging into the aux jack really enhances the audio. It was when I plugged in my guitar/preamp into the 1/4" aux (with mono 1/4" plug) while the iPhone was plugged into the 1/8" aux that things went south, until I backed off on the 1/4 plug one click per texasdave's suggestion. Now all is good.
Ah ha. I was confused. Thanks for explaining.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification