The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Default Condenser Mic getting 60 cycle hum

I've got a special circumstance that I want to ask on the forum regarding 60 cycle hum that I'm getting from an external condenser mic and power supply.

I'm using a K&K Trinity Pro acoustic guitar system and preamp, a combination of condenser mic and pick-up. Incredible sounding combo, the best that I've found, I use two systems installed in my Taylors.

With a nine volt battery there's no hum, sounds great. With the manufacturer's recommended power supply which has a noise eliminating circuit designed to eliminate hum, there's still hum on the condenser mic, not on the direct pickup. I contacted K&K, and they admit that there's hum on the mic side when using the power supply but have no solution for getting rid of it.

Anybody out there have any comments or suggestions? I guess I'm in for a long haul of buying lots of 9 volt batteries in the future.

Thanks!
Rod
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 AM

Your thread is sinking lower into oblivion, so I'll give it a bump to the top. I did post a couple ideas over at GS, although not sure they might have helped. I'm still thinking rechargeable 9 volt batteries might be the way to give a try.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:45 AM

You need to flip the ground lift on the preamp, or put an inline ground lift on the edison or a inline isolation transformer on the XLR to the board.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 AM

If it's a standard 9 volt, I've had good luck with the Danelectro Zero Hum adapters.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM

I've been having the same problem with my Trinity system. Running the preamp with their power supply instead of battery. Big buzz/hum. I had to switch to battery and also use one of those 3/2 prong adapters on my amp to get rid of it.

I've got an inline XLR ground lift connector ordered. When it comes in I'll see if it makes enough difference that I can go back to using the K&K power supply. If not, I think I'll see what happens with a One Spot and the One Spot cable that has a battery connector on it.
Fender GDP100 Parlor
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification