The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 PM

Default Mic under top or on the side?

I posted this in another tread about feedback with a K&K mic I may have hijacked that thread it was not my intention so I will try again.

I watched a YouTube video of one being installed, the person decided to put it on the bottom side instead of the top next to the sound hole, as K&K said to do in their install instructions. Reason being he figured it would affect the vibration of the top if mounted on the top underside. Sounds reasonable but I just wonder if anyone here thinks this is plausible? I guess as long as I am asking I should also ask, why not on the inside backside of the guitar?

I know this may be way overthinking this but hey I got plenty of time for that.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I posted this in another tread about feedback with a K&K mic I may have hijacked that thread it was not my intention so I will try again.

I watched a YouTube video of one being installed, the person decided to put it on the bottom side instead of the top next to the sound hole, as K&K said to do in their install instructions. Reason being he figured it would affect the vibration of the top if mounted on the top underside. Sounds reasonable but I just wonder if anyone here thinks this is plausible? I guess as long as I am asking I should also ask, why not on the inside backside of the guitar?

I know this may be way overthinking this but hey I got plenty of time for that.
Hi pm…

I had worked with a Baggs dual source, and placed their mic according to their instructions, which I played that way for about 7 years.

When I switched to K&K, I couldn't believe their recommended position, so I tried every other position I could imagine, then tried theirs.

Well…I still use their recommended position for all 4 of my acoustics, and I run a hotter mix on the mic than the pickup, and rarely have any issues with it.

It sounds best on all my guitars about 3/4" below the surface of the sound hole aimed up at the 3rd string.

As for affecting the vibration of the top, it can be routed so it doesn't attach to any braces between the bridge and tail, and it doesn't affect my tops in any way. My luthier routed it so it would not affect braces below the bridge.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Okay just got off the phone to a Tec at K&K he was very helpful in explaining a few things. First I had the jack out and pulled apart to expose the tabs. There are two unused tabs and one used in the center which is the smaller one that the pickup itself is soldered to. Then the medium one, is the one the hot wire in a clear sheath and the larger wire from the mic needs to be soldered to, with the longest tab not to be used at all. For the ground which is the smaller wire, you need to un-crimp the large rubber tub holding the wires from the pickup pull it back to expose the solder joint for the ground then solder the ground inside of that after running both mic wire through the larger tub. I tried to run the wires up the tub last night but it would not slide up the tub so I ran it under the cap that screws onto the jack, he said that would be okay but I could use a little silicone lube to help get it up the tub which is the preferred way to install the wires. I now feel confident enough to proceed with the install myself.

On the placement of the mic holder itself, although they show it being installed under the top next to the sound hole, he did say it could be installed where every I would like to and the side was okay. What they show on their instruction sheet was purely mechanical to show how the mic can be attached but not necessary to do it like they show with no repercussions if place in another spot as long as you have enough mic cord and it does not move around.

The Tec also said they are revising the installs directions because they do get a lot of calls like mine, since the directions only really show where everything goes except how the wires are attached.

I know my explanation may be clear as mud but I hope this will help anyone like me left scratching their head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification