The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Is it Finished Yet?

Hi,

Just registered here this morning and already I got questions?

I have built several ukuleles so far and have always done a Tru-oil finish on them. This worked fine as the first is an all mahogany and the next three have Douglas fir tops with cherry back and sides.

Now I have moved on to steel strings and am using spruce tops so I am changing my finishing materials.

My first attempt is using KTM-9, loosely following the Keith Rhodes method, on a Honduras mahogany jumbo. I am in the middle of this project right now as I have pore filled using Zpoxy and have brush applied 8 coats of finish so far.

What I am thinking about is to finish my other project, a Ditson, using a brushed on oil varnish. I just think this would be a more traditional finish that would hopefully be more durable than the Tru-oil.

Does anybody have any advice on this method or a link to a useful tutorial that describes the steps to using an oil varnish?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 AM

There is alot more knowledge and experience with this sort of thing at http://luthiersforum.com/ than there is here.

I've never used Tru-Oil (and wouldn't on a guitar) so I can't
compare its durability against varnish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair