The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
Great description of the "alien claw". I'm very familiar with it!

As others have said, I think the more you play out the more the claw will return to a normal hand. A couple other specific ideas are:

1. Look for opportunities where you can do longer sets. For me, it's the first song or two where the claw is the worst. After that, it usually gets much better. If you are doing an open mic with only one or two songs, you don't have that opportunity to get past the initial jitters.

2. Start your set with a few songs that you feel really comfortable with then move on to the trickier ones after the claw starts to depart.

3. Try starting your songs at a slower tempo than you normally would to counteract the tendency to play fast when you get nervous.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Steve, good advice I will certainly keep in mind! It was a bit scary only having the one song, but I knew it well, and wasn't concerned with any particular "hard part" (til I was actually up there, and I started thinking about the solo part before it came up, which is kind of dumb, of course).

But like you said, start with something a little easier and have more than one song is something that seems very true. The first few times with our electric band, the first song would go a little shaky (but was very easy), the second was a little harder, and I'd start thinking "Geeze, what am I trying to do up here..." But once that was over, the next 15 or 20 minutes weren't so bad at all.

Slowing down, I really will have to work on. It was something I knew I'd mess up with if I didn't pay attention (and I did mess it up). I think I will make a list of points, and try them on a daily basis, even during practicing (or anything else that makes me a little anxious). If they help you guys out and you're playing and having fun doing it, it might be good to take them as serious as practicing itself, for me. Like papol said, it streches beyond guitar.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
For me, the hard part is the paranoia that some folks don't like what you're offering.
That's about the only thing that didn't bother me, for some reason. It was 10 bands, 8 were rock or pop, one was a girl on her acoustic (sang very nicely, played simple but pleasant - nice song) and we were a kazoo and washboard-type band. I just thought maybe the contrast would have been nice for the audience, even it it isn't the most bearable of genres...

I read a post on another forum, and took heed - something like "play what you want, because you'll be dead some day". I guess a more positive take would be "you only live once".

Not that I'm in any postion to give advice, of course (stay away from the stage! It's scary! You will fail, you know! ). But you should play the songs you want, if you want to!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1 View Post
At the end he gets a standing ovation, as much for his recovery as for the performance. At the end of the evening lots of folks went up to him to congratulate him on the way he handled the "failure".

Not that this story will get rid of your nerves, but it might help to know that we, the audience, are pulling for you no matter how alien your claw.

_____
gh1
Great story, also helps put things in perspective. I'm the last person to claim perfection (not even trying, in truth), but I have only repect for someone like that. Sounds like a good guy. Makes me also think of a Leo Kottke album I have, he starts playing a song and stops, saying, "I started that one way too fast" or something like that.

I know the public just wants you to do good, because they want to enjoy the song. Seems like a double-edged sword to me, sometimes (the pessamist I am...) they want you to do well, so if you fail they'll be extra dissapointed. Also something to think about, I know. And appreciate your reply, thanks for taking the time and writing down your experience.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi,

My Dad (plays Bass) gave me a great aid - play a few bars and listen. Since I sing and play, the first few songs I start with a few bar intro. Let's me adjust the rythm, relax and h e a r the music. Makes a big difference to just 'jumping in singing' on the very note. Your music is great, I really enjoyed the site. There seems to be a problem with your guest book though - stage fright perhaps.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM

I've played as and amateur and professional for 44 years. I still get nervous. I know all of the advice. I know all the tricks. I know that fear and nerves make the likelihood of making an embarrassing mistake greater. I know that in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter. I'm not going to die if I miss a few notes. I know all that, yet I still get the shakes and at some point before I actually get on stage I wish I had taken up stamp collecting. But...then, a few bars into the first tune, a miracle happens, the seas part and the notes begin to flow.

Hang in there. Breathe. Practice until you can play your tunes in your sleep. Train yourself not to think about what you are doing, but concentrate instead on doing it.

Good luck.

TC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell