The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Folks we (none of us) have no license to judge. That is Gods realm. Have you talked to Jimmy Buffett - Do you know his heart? From Islamorada to Key West he has always socialized with the regular folks and has never placed himself above anyone. He might be and probably is a millionaire (that does not make him inherently bad) he does not act any different from you or me. I have walk up to him at Don Cesar in St. Petersburg Florida when he was playing on the pool deck all by himself and ask the best place locally to eat and it was like we had known each other for life - he told me I went, it was great. He is a decent, regular guy. Stop judging on what you know nothing about! He is a fellow just going threw life like you and I!

C. F. Martin Custom Shop Guitars -Built with Vintage Woods, Pre-War Forward X Bracing & Vintage 1 3/4" Necks
D-18, HD-28 C, D-42, OM-28 C, OM-28 Jumbo
Other Martins - OM-28 VR, 000-28GE, N20-WN-Brazilian

James A. Olson Guitars - SJ (JT Series III) Brazilian & Cedar, SJ Cutaway (JT Series III) Brazilian & Cedar Cut-Away and Just Arrived Olsen Jumbo Brazilian & Engelmann Spruce
Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago12string View Post
He must have lost a lot of money in the stock market..

Still, there's nothing more pathethic than an old, balding, ranting performer in a bar. And what a lousy performance.

If you want to see a real performer, check this girl out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdXnlvUe3I

[donning the asbestos suit and running like hell! :-)]
No need to run, This video is super cool !! Lady Gaga rocks !!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM

...just thought I would post another video of an old, balding guy playing guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T35WXFOmwI

Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog View Post
Folks we (none of us) have no license to judge. That is Gods realm. Have you talked to Jimmy Buffett - Do you know his heart? From Islamorada to Key West he has always socialized with the regular folks and has never placed himself above anyone. He might be and probably is a millionaire (that does not make him inherently bad) he does not act any different from you or me. I have walk up to him at Don Cesar in St. Petersburg Florida when he was playing on the pool deck all by himself and ask the best place locally to eat and it was like we had known each other for life - he told me I went, it was great. He is a decent, regular guy. Stop judging on what you know nothing about! He is a fellow just going threw life like you and I!
I guess I was going for some of the irony inherent in JB judging some millionaires he does not know personally. What's good for the goose, you know?

I believe JB is a decent guy! His view is just a little narrow on this one. That's all.

As for the judging, I will probably continue doing it, despite the righteous admonition!
1916 Martin 2 Uke
1950s Martin 1 Uke
2007 Laughlin 3K Uke
2007 Dominator Spruce Uke
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM

I'm pretty sure that when you're talking about Jimmy Bufett's wealth you need to replace the "m" with a "b" (billionaire).
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Amen. Keep the bitterness and sour grapes at bay. One might not like his music, his style etc.. but as has been said, he did it his way, and along the way his has made many many people happy, and I think very often has affected people's attitudes in a very positive way. Not just for the moment, but as an outlook on life. While that may not brings his fans millions, it may give them peace of mind for the long haul. .. my soap box, thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz1009 View Post
I think very often has affected people's attitudes in a very positive way. Not just for the moment, but as an outlook on life. While that may not brings his fans millions, it may give them peace of mind for the long haul.
that's it......money isn't everything, that's for sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you would say all this when his song is written in total judgement of previous politicians and rich people. So he can judge others in a song but we on this forum can't. Guess I don't qualify as regular enough to judge like he can in many of his songs.

steve
Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago12string View Post

If you want to see a real performer, check this girl out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdXnlvUe3I

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Wow, no kidding. I want my 7 seconds back before I was forced to close the window. I also would like my vision back as the image of that woman is now burned into my retinas.

I have performed this song a few times live and it gets quite the reaction. People enjoy it, just like many other Buffett tunes. I agree with Fitness in that if I could have anyone's life, it would be JB's. He has lived a great life, has experienced more than probably any one of us ever will, and has so many great stories. He's a simple musician, a great business man, a sailor, and he is/was great friends with so many great musicians such as Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, John Prine, etc.

Many musicians get into heated debates over JB's music, because he is somewhat of a hack and is not a technical guitar player. The funny thing is that he will be the first to admit it! Who cares if he is not some technical, musical guru...the bottom line is that he writes simple music about living the good life and being happy. When people listen to his music, it helps them to escape and feel like they are in the tropics somewhere, or that things will alsways be ok. He is obviously doing something right because he has sold millions and millions of albums and he is the single fastest selling and largest grossing performer every summer. So while many can have their opinions about his musical talent, they need to realize that this is not what he is about. The guy is rich, doing what he loves (I mean he truly LOVES what he does). How could anyone not envy that??

If anyone wants the lyrics and the chords to this JB song "A Lot To Drink About", let me know. Not that it was difficult, but I tabbed the song and the lyrics out in a Word document. Send me a PM with and email address, and I will be happy to pass it along.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM

I agree with most hereabout Jimmy Buffett. It is a perfect song for the times. I also agree that if I could have anyone's life it would be JB, (although without the drug period). I would love to be the guy at the bar in Jamaica.
I'm not a really good guitar player either, but I do love to sit on my deck and play Buffett songs. He's also a pretty good writer of novels as well and I do recommend his books. They are more fun to read sitting on the beach though.
I think I'll que him up on window media player right now.
Hal
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM

When Buffett got his first big royalty check in the 70's, he paid off his bills and bought a (bigger) sailboat. His thinking was if the music career hit a dead-end on radio airplay, he'd have his boat, his guitar and could sail the Caribbean playing guitar in bars and hotels, making a living doing something he loved. Not a bad outlook to have, and compared to many artists that blew that first big check and were never heard from again, I'd say JB is a pretty good guy and true to his heart.

Anyhow.....How can you 'dis a guy playing a custom Martin (his) onstage with Mac McAnally?

And, Lady GaGa is very talented, my kids like her and ....I don't hate her
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM

I checked into Lady Gaga a little bit. I really like her acoustic version of Poker Face, but I don't care much for the club mix which is on her cd, The Fame, and is in the top ten on iTunes. I'd really like to see her do some more acoustic stuff.

The name Lady Gaga comes from a comparison of her to Freddy Mercury of Queen, and the song Radio Gaga.

Her real name is, Stephanie Germanotta. She just turned 23 years old, so I'll give her a break for her enthusiasm and potential.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell