The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM

Yeah, the Octavas sounded crisp and clear throughout the range. Caught the entire sound. The other two, not so much.

Nice little ditty, too.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
Hi - i checked the sale you are talking about. What do you guys think about the MXL V63M or the MXL v900 or the EV PL84 or any of the sub $100 mics.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ice%7c0&rpp=60

Just don't know much about mics. I am assuming condenser is the way to go. I have a the AT2021 set. Just looking for maybe something better.
If your set is the AT2020 and AT2021 combo, I don't think you'll find a sub $100 mic that will improve your recordings. You can make recordings that will make people cry, make people dance, with those mics.

The more time you spend recording with these mics, the better you'll be able to utilize new ones. You'll also benefit a lot more from saving for a while and moving a little farther up the chain than you will from collecting lowball mics.

IMO,
Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
If your set is the AT2020 and AT2021 combo, I don't think you'll find a sub $100 mic that will improve your recordings. You can make recordings that will make people cry, make people dance, with those mics.

The more time you spend recording with these mics, the better you'll be able to utilize new ones. You'll also benefit a lot more from saving for a while and moving a little farther up the chain than you will from collecting lowball mics.

IMO,
Fran
Thanks Fran - I've enjoyed your videos (the last one I watch was on the figure 8 separation).

I need to get another mic anyways for 2 voices (harmony back up singer). The pencil one I don't think works well for the voice. So I was looking at either the EV that Billy got, or the MXL V900, or the EV RE410.

I am just realizing this is sort of hijacking this thread - sorry! I should start a new thread.
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Wow! Fabulous sound!

Annoying to me as I just spent money for a studio and the engineer didn't know how to mic my guitar (the Gurian) - I KNOW how to mic my Gurian!! So, I wound up with ****e sounding tape... expensive equipment, but not as good as the equipment used for my live concert (cuts from which are on YouTube) umpteen years ago.

I think it all comes down to you have to figure it our yourself - and that you've done - the Octava - fabulous. Of course, the FABULOUS playing on a spectacular guitar might have something to do with it!!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

hi billv
what i like more in your set it is the belgic ale; seems like a Chimay
i am right?
Eblen
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabalan View Post
hi billv
what i like more in your set it is the belgic ale; seems like a Chimay
i am right?
Eblen
Ah. I was waiting for a comment on the beer.

Actually, it is a homebrewed tripel that tastes a lot like Chimay. I've been focusing on brewing belgian styles for the last year or so, although I've been homebrewing since 1993.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Ya know, I've gone back now and listened more to my test recordings, and have to agree with the general sentiment that the Oktavas are still going to work better for the Lowden. Although I will say that with some processing (eq, etc.) all 3 mics do a credible job. The other issue is that my hearing is probably not sensitive enough any more to really hear what is going on, especially at the lower amplitudes.

I am going to try some recording with myu Tacoma baritone. It's recorded sound is pretty different from the Lowden, so we'll see how the Cardinals do on that ax.

Finally, I've got a pair of Ravens (the dynamic version of the Cardinal) coming, so will try it out and see how it compares.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Billy when do you suggest using dynamics vs say LDC's?
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Great report and even better playing... wonder who my 2 Rode NT5s would fair.... I like my Onyx 1620,,, very good pres for sure (or any other mic (just being silly there))
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM

Great playing! I like that Jecklin disk you made . . . looks vintage! I think the end result for each mic sounds great. It’s good to know this can be achieved with relatively 'inexpensive' mics. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Tryin' to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
Great playing! I like that Jecklin disk you made . . . looks vintage! I think the end result for each mic sounds great. It’s good to know this can be achieved with relatively 'inexpensive' mics. Thanks.
The Jecklin disk was manufactured quickly, and is kind of messy looking, but it is functional...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that write up. Really nice playing, and nice recorded tone. I have been wanting to hear the Octava's through a more budget minded setup like the 400F. I'd say they sound good, definitely my favorite out of the bunch. Did you get them from the Sound-Room?

Anton
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billv View Post
Ah. I was waiting for a comment on the beer.

Actually, it is a homebrewed tripel that tastes a lot like Chimay. I've been focusing on brewing belgian styles for the last year or so, although I've been homebrewing since 1993.
really!! that is great!
i am not a homebrewing( i wish) but i a lover of the good beer since the 90¨s
i get crazy when i perform in belgium( 600 brands or more) trappist and abbey
style( like yours) are unique beers.
lately i go for the scottish ales,, well malted, tasty hopes, balanced alc(5.5/6)
i hope to taste your ale!! can you tell me more about( i suppose is a strong
alc ale)
congratulations!!
Eblen

Last edited by Kabalan; 04-20-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thanks for that write up. Really nice playing, and nice recorded tone. I have been wanting to hear the Octava's through a more budget minded setup like the 400F. I'd say they sound good, definitely my favorite out of the bunch. Did you get them from the Sound-Room?

Anton
I did get them from the Sound-Room, although they have gone up in price quite a bit since then.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

hi bill
i see is a guitar forum, not a beer one( to bad, i get exited with this topic,
after been professional musician for a long time: mics, gear, guitars, guitars
players, always different points of view)
it is so good your playing, that the 3 versions are fine!!
i own a oktava pair, which i use more for record my wife´s harpsichord,
since i record a classical 8 string , i like to use a beyerdinamic m- 160
ribbon( ralph towner use one) in my opinion is a warm, stout mic. my 2
last cd are live recording, i combine this mic with a akg- 411 c.
with a lexicon reverb, i get my sound.

www.myspace.com/eblenmacaritrio
the pieces in the music sample( upper part of the page) are the ones iam talking. not the videos that ones had a shure 84
you have a great music!!
EBLEN MACARI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell