The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Acoustic Pickup for T5

I'm thinking about adding an additional acoustic pickup for my T5.

I've been looking at the L.R. Baggs IMix, the KK Trinity Western, and the Fishman Infinity.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 PM

I've been on a buying spree lately. After playing electrics for quit some time and selling my HD28 recently, I was looking for an acoustic tone again. I was stuck between a traditional acoustic and the T5. I bought a Taylor 714ce LTD yesterday. Today I bought a T5 Blue Edge Burst Custom. And I intend to install an acoustic pickup also. Here's what a fellow AGF member told me:

"Hey Denny,
If I was going to do this again in the KOA, I would look at the LR Baggs Element Active (which has a sound hole volume control), the new Fishman Infinity pickup with sound hole tone AND volume, or the Wavelength with the soundhole volume and tone control. My D-Tar Wavelength is the original one without the soundhole volume/tone control. I have another T5 standard with an LR Baggs Element Active with the volume control and it is mounted inside the "f-hole" so you can actually reach in and adjust the volume. The original Wavelength that i have in my KOA T5 has to be controlled from an external volume like a volume pedal. What I like is the ability to BLEND both the T5 pickups with the undersaddle pickups to give it a more well rounded sound. That could also be done with the LR Baggs MIXPRO. You can adjust the gain settings on the individual pickups in each channel to better control the blending tones, or use the MIXPRO as a volume control for the Wavelength and just use the onboard T5 volume control to mix it in.
If you do add a pickup, the Wavelength is a very good pickup but it is also "hotter" since it is an 18 volt system as opposed to a 9 volt system like the FishMan Matrix or the LR Baggs Element active. It has more headroom and that is the advantage but I would definitely go for the newer model that has the volume and tone control. In the widest space on your upper f-hole, you can tack the controls in with superglue or double sided tape, so you can reach them easily. At least that gives you onboard control of volume and tone. If this makes you nervous, a good luthier can place them securely for you.
I actually have three T5s now and use them exclusively. After several years, I have mastered the T5 electronics and don't usually use the undersaddle pickups, except on the Standard with the LR Baggs, I also have a Roland GK3 synth pickup and plug the LR Baggs pickup into the synth pickup which then carries the signal through the Roland GR 20 synth and out to the board.
Sorry if this is more than you asked about but I am happy to share. My last T5 purchase was a Crimson Red Metallic and I have kept it stock. My setup gets me where I want with both acoustic and electric tone without adding anything else. I think the undersaddle is a very good idea if you want more of a traditional acoustic tone. For the $, the Element Active is a great buy and would be my first recommendation. The Wavelength is actually an 18 volt version of the Element Active and I think adding the controls would really make it a greater choice. In my KOA it is a bit hot and requires some taming in the mix.
Good luck
David"

Also, here's a website full of acoustic pickup sound clips. It works great if you have good computer speakers. If not, I'd use headphones.

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

We'll have to keep in touch on this and share notes. How long have you been playing a T5?

Oh, one more thing. I talked to the store owner who sold me the T5 about adding the LR Baggs Active Element (my favorite) to my T5. He suggested installing the Jack next to the other jack like they do on other guitars instead of using one of the strap buttons. He has done it both ways and said installing next to the existing jack is a cleaner setup when you have two cables plugged in.

Denny

Last edited by denny1948golf; 10-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 PM

I love my wavelength + aura on my T5

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification