The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Carvin guitars and bass guitars???

so any opinions on these? they seem to be very good bang for the buck especially since they are factory direct. They are also incredibly classy looking in my opinion.

but what about the sound, fit and finish, and playability?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:10 PM

I just bought my first Carvin about two weeks ago. It's a previously loved CL450 nylon string with the most beautiful koa top. It actually was in the Carvin catalogs in 2004 & 2005 (go to the carvin museum site; it's the small inset picture with the flamenco player holding it). All I can say is that everything that I've heard about Carvin's is true. The fit and finish is excellent, the neck is to die for, and the sound, both acoustic and plugged in, is great. Most people will say that the resale value is not very good, but that doesn't bother me...mine's a keeper. My teacher just received an NS1 nylon string and again, I couldn't find a flaw on it. I don't know if the entire line is this good, but I was able to look at a good selection (6 or 7 different models; 4 or 5 with exactly the same koa top as mine from the same log) when I picked mine up from it's previous owner. All were first rate and beautiful. If you have the opportunity to try one in person, I think you would be sold.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM

I recently ordered an NS1 to use with my GR-20 synth. I should receive it in a month.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM

I just rec'd a Carvin CL450 today from a Forum member and absolutely love it. I know there's the 'HoneyMoon' thing going on, but it is everything I've been looking for in a Nylon String Crossover Guitar...

...Thin Body but sounds good unplugged...,
...Cedar Top...,
...Sounds good plugged in...,
...Slimmer neck than traditional classical...,

The guitar is beautiful and I'm gonna be comparing it with my Taylor NS34CE over the next two weeks to determine which I like more. Currently the Taylor is ahead only with a little more volume unplugged; but that can be expected from a Grand Auditorium size body.

The Carvin's are definately worth checking into!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Cant be too bad if Joe Walsh plays em!

Taylor 2009 DDSM Custom Build; LR Baggs Hex (Comes with the DDSM)

R. Taylor Style 1, Short Scale Neck, Adi Top, Madagascar Sides/Back, LR Baggs Anthem: 2010

Taylor BTO; 814C Florentine. Adi top and bracing. AA grade EIR, Gotoh tuners. Honeyburst top. No electronics (installed LR Baggs Anthem) Tropical Vine Inlay
Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM

excellent stuff. i bought my dc200 15 years ago and have never regretted the purchase or even considered selling it. the sound is excellent, and the "fit and finish" are as good quality as you'd find on any guitar. the other cool thing is that in 15 years, those carbon rods have kept my neck perfectly straight. I've never touched the truss rod and I doubt I'll ever have to.

I know it's hard to buy a guitar without ever actually playing one... that's the big downside of carvin's direct sales method, but I don't know of anyone who has ever been let down when they got their carvin.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM

thanks for all the opinions.

I'm looking at ordering an Icon series bass and maybe a single or double cutaway CT/CS6 series guitar. They are some of the most stylish looking guitars and a friend of mine used to have a carvin years ago... it was a great guitar. I think i may have to pull the trigger.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM

I had a Carvin DC200 which I liked very much and miss. I gave it to my nephew because he had an eye for it three or four years ago. It had great action, a scale length (25 inches) between that of Fender and Gibson guitars, good sustain and a versatile range of tones by virtue of the coil splitting and phase switches plus stereo output. The DC200 has been replaced by the DC400, the main difference being the addition of active pickups.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I have a Carvin Fatboy and really like it. I ordered it with coil splitters and phase switch. Also had Stainless steel frets -- after 3 years, the frets show NO wear at all. I also own a Custom Shop Les Paul, a Les Paul Standard, a Gibson ES-135, a Fender Strat EJ model, an US Strat, a Heritage 575, and a G&L Commanche. The Carvin is set up it great and it is by far my favorite electric guitar. This is the only Carvin I've owned, but wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My guitar looks just like the model on the bottom of the page below (except it has 3 additional switches). The only thing I would change is I wouldn't have ordered the phase switch ... never use it.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo....php?model=hf2
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I bought a used TL60T ten years ago and it has been a staple of my playing out and recording. Lovely fit and finish, excellent action. A great player.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM

The only negative thing I've heard was concerning their finishes. Norm Stockton said concerning his AC-50F:

Quote:
It candidly hasn't held together as well as I would have expected. Within just a few years of purchase, much of the finish was looking cloudy and prematurely worn, plus there's an area up near the nut where the finish seems to have delaminated (if that's the right term), which I've come to find isn't uncommon on Carvin's instruments.
(Source: http://www.normstockton.com/faq/index.html#gear)

It should be noted that Norm is an endorsed artist for MTD, a competitor to Carvin. Nevertheless, I'd consider a Carvin bass if I were in the market.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
The only negative thing I've heard was concerning their finishes. Norm Stockton said concerning his AC-50F:

(Source: http://www.normstockton.com/faq/index.html#gear)

It should be noted that Norm is an endorsed artist for MTD, a competitor to Carvin. Nevertheless, I'd consider a Carvin bass if I were in the market.
The finish on my guitar, which I had for a about a decade, was in excellent condition. This is the first I've ever heard of a problem with their finish.

My best friends son is an accomplished bass player with a very expensive collection of bass guitars and he regards Carvins highly.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 AM

I've played several of them on visits to their stores in
the Los Angeles area. Liked both them and their amps
and would consider one if in the market for an electric.

TK
Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM

seems like a resounding thumbs up for carvin!

I was thinking about an ICON 5W, w/ the walnut veneer. Those guitars look so classy... and i'm thinking a satin matte finish would look great.

how important is the body wood w/ an electric guitar/bass? does it really affect the tone as much as an acoustic... i imagine the density and weight must affect the tone somewhat.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Here's a pic of me playing mine at church - a DC400A, which also has the Fishman Acoustic bridge, which I can't say enough good things about. As far as fit and finish, it is absolutely perfect.

Umber Stain, Flamed Maple, 5-piece neck, rosewood knobs. Ask most Carvin players about the low re-sale value, and they'll tell you they don't care because their Carvin's aren't for sale. I know mine is a "lifer".

But the only thing worth listing:
1 wife, four amazing kids.

Last edited by JSMidd; 10-16-2008 at 05:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification