The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-05-2024, 01:46 PM

Default Harmony Demise

Not sure how you contact Harmony as everything Iread indicated the company went under in 1975. Said they even sold the Harmony name .So to ask someone claiming to be Harmony about hidden numbers and date stamps on the underside of the Broadways soundboards sounds like a waste of time but what do I know, not too much I totally conclude lol
Old 03-06-2024, 10:50 AM

Harmony resurfaced in 2018 under new ownership. BandLab Technologies now owns the brand, as well as Heritage Guitars. Both are made in the same factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA. Their new web site is https://www.harmony.co/ (note the domain is NOT ".com" but ".co").

They can be reached via this link: https://www.harmony.co/pages/contact
Old 03-06-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Harmony resurfaced in 2018 under new ownership. BandLab Technologies now owns the brand, as well as Heritage Guitars. Both are made in the same factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA. Their new web site is https://www.harmony.co/ (note the domain is NOT ".com" but ".co").

They can be reached via this link: https://www.harmony.co/pages/contact
Wait, wait?! They are in the old Gibson factory?! Wonderful! My first archtop was a beaten up Monterey H950. I part traded it for another that was mint (that I wish I still had). As I mentioned before, I have a soft spot for the brand. I just signed up to their mailing list. That they’re back makes me smile.

I wonder if they will have acoustic archtops in their future lineup, with models to fill the affordable acoustic void of the Chicago era originals and (more recently) the Godin 5th Avenue.

Crazier still, I wonder if they’ll do a custom order for one. Only one way to find out…
Old 03-06-2024, 05:36 PM

if you want to ask a question about the old Harmony guitars I would go here
https://harmonyguysboard.net/

These are the guys who seek out and restore the old Harmony guitars for the love of it.

The Harmony brand being built in Kalamazoo look superficially like the old line of guitars but bear little resemblance and really don't try to be reissues - they are modern high quality builds (I have a Juno)
Old 03-08-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
Wait, wait?! They are in the old Gibson factory?! Wonderful!
Yep! And as mentioned above, the same company owns the Heritage brand, started by former Gibson employees. Heritage gets high marks from players who care more about the quality of their guitars than the name on the headstock.

The only archtop currently in their catalog is the H62 Reissue, a sunburst hollowbody with Harmony-designed pickups, but it's a pretty guitar, and at only US $849 deserves serious consideration for someone wanting to round out their collection.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

That H62 looks interesting. The affordable price made me think there's no way it is made in Kalamazoo and I learned that it's a Korean made instrument. Still....I'd love to sample that baby!
Old 03-08-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
That H62 looks interesting. The affordable price made me think there's no way it is made in Kalamazoo and I learned that it's a Korean made instrument. Still....I'd love to sample that baby!
I've learned that it's not wise to dismiss offshore gutars out of hand. The last Fender I bought was a limited edition hybrid Stratocaster made in Japan, and it's killer!

That said, if a product is made in the USA, I'm always more inclined to give that product serious consideration. Harmony's H62 is a nice looking guitar, but if I were to go the Harmony route, I'd probably look first at the semi-hollowbody Comet. Tim Pierce played one in one of his video segments and said, "I'm keeping this one!"

And it's available in three colors/finishes.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:49 PM

Default I Wrote To Them Last Night

On the subway home, I figured, why not? I asked if acoustic archtops were part of their plans, given the role they played of old, and argued that with Godin discontinuing the acoustic 5th Avenue, there’s a gap in the market that Harmony can fill just as they used to.

I suggested that they offer an H-62 sans electronics for starters. And, if they get ambitious, bring back something like this Patrician:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.as...ic-Guitar-1954
Old 03-08-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I've learned that it's not wise to dismiss offshore gutars out of hand....
I agree, I have a Korean (Samick) made Epiphone Howard Roberts Custom I like well enough that I sold my Guild X175 to fund a Guild D55. Very well made.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops