The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2023, 07:11 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the further clarifications on the Go Acoustic system. The part about the mic signal being “differentially phased in the summing circuit” is the thing which most intrigues me about the Go Acoustic system. It impresses me that your system does this complicated stuff onboard to makes things extremely easy for the user.

It occurs to me that I would have the same expense (or more) to put both a Baggs Lyric and an active UST system in the same guitar (on separate jacks), and take them to two channels of a mixer or blender. I might be able to make the blended signals sound as good as the Go Acoustic, but the result would be much more feedback prone and much more complicated to operate.

Regarding the video links in your last post, both links are for the same video. I suspect that wasn’t your intention.

Regarding the RMC mini-saddle system, I had a bad experience with that system in a synth-equipped Godin Multiac. The action was too low for hard strumming and I needed to put excessive relief in the neck to make it usable. When I tried using the brass shims which Godin supplied, the mini-saddles came dangerously close to popping out of the saddle slot. Albeit, that was one of the best guitars I ever had for bare-fingered picking. It just wouldn’t accommodate hard strumming.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That sounds great. Doesn’t hurt that he can pick like Chet!
I just made the same comment to my brother standing here! I tell ya... his bass lines sound fantastic. He's good. The bass tone, alone, is to die for. I am impressed. And I envy people who can play like that.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:44 AM

Default Deleted

Post deleted
1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary
1979 Fender Stratocaster 25th Anniversary
1968 Goya T-18
1983 Fender Super Champ amp

Last edited by TY56; 12-27-2023 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Redundant post
Old 12-29-2023, 09:08 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Here is the video with mike at Vol. This is a brilliant guitarist, Vahagni

His act is Paco Versailles. But if you look up his Youtube videos you might enjoy his fantastic videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDEIe9H4J0Q

This is his Cordoba stage guitar. A full body classical model. This is about 1/3rd mike to pickup balance. Vahagni has a flamenco technique and needs the percussive advantage the mike offers.

https://youtu.be/vPvwEbvz7ic?si=nXdK1w1TtJxRksz7

Another Example of Go AA on stage at vol. providing a great acoustic tone and presence for a really wonderful guitarist.

Last edited by conecaster; 02-13-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, i decided to give this a try. So, I ordered a Goacoustic pickup. Stay tuned to this channel for more fun and games.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I had a phone call with Paul. He wants measurements of the saddle and bridge. I gave him the best dimensions I could get. My saddle and slot might be too shallow. We'll see what he comes back with.

If it doesn't work in this guitar, then I can try a different one.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:53 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Default New youtube video

This video demonstrates the midi capability of the Go AA system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNDKTdeCZk

It also shows the natural sound of 2 guitars that are not very acoustic, they tend to lack highs. The eq is flat so he did not boost the highs. Its a reflection of the system's ability to capture the instrument it is installed in.

By contrast, at the very end of the video Walter plays his fully acoustic cutaway classical guitar. You can hear the difference in the system reflecting a dead instrument compared to an alive top under the players touch.

We find that midi guitarists favor the Go AA signal for less bleed over and faster tracking into the midi controllers. Tracking is the time it requires to identify an analog frequency and convert it into a digital signal. the more precise the analog signal the faster the digital converter can do its job. this decreases latency. It is generally considered the shortest time for digital processing from analog is 8 mili seconds, this means if you are John McLaughlin you are likely to feel the delay when you are ripping notes at high speed.

One of the most respected midi guitarists on stages anywhere is Steve Oliver. Steve installed Go AA 5 years ago now in his stage guitars. He also relates that his production time fixing bleed notes is greatly reduced and he does not need to be as constantly focused on his playing accuracy to get accurate tracking.

Here is a live cell phone video of Steve. This is all midi. He does everything live with midi sound.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1om8...usp=drive_link
Old 01-10-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

The pickup came today. It looks good. I have a busy week so it'll be a few days before I get around to doing the install.

More to follow.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:46 PM

I have the ES replacement system in two Taylors, I am skittish to play them live without a back-up guitar, as the interconnection wires (literally strips) are prone to come loose and very hard to re-insert. As well, getting string to string volume balance is very tedious and hard to attain.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:30 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Talking

I am sorry to hear a good client is having problems.

I will see to it that this issue is resolved.

We have many major touring acts using Go AA now.

They come from many different places and parts of the world.

Keola Beamer is a legendary a Hawaiian touring guitarist using the system as defined for 3 years now in his international touring schedule.

Peter White has a single saddle in one of my guitars

National fingerstyle champion Marc Sganga left other makes due to failures and finds our system more reliable after his 250 gig schedule a year. He came back after all those gigs to have a second guitar done.

We did 3 guitars for Metheny for his solo tour last fall and there have been no issues.

I follow up on every installation to ensure there are no issues. I will do what ever it takes to provide a secure experience.

Not just the most notable people.

I look forward to better reviews.

What ever is problematic here will be addressed.

Paul
Old 01-18-2024, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I have completed the install in my old 1957 J50. It is a complex thing to do for the first time. Later I will fill you in on the complexity and issues I encountered and how I worked it all out.

But the result (so far) is SPECTACULAR. So far I've only played it through my Genzler amp at home. I even sat on a chair in front of the amp and tried to induce feedback, but got none at volume levels my ears were willing to take. The final proof will be at an open mic I plan to attend this evening with a big stage sound system.

But at home when I compare it to another guitar with a Mag/SBT/Mic combo, well, there is no comparison. The Go Acoustic is the totally most natural sounding pickup I've ever tried. Head and shoulders above the rest. And the fun part is I don't need a pedal and FX and IRs to get there. The guitar just sounds like my guitar only much BIGGER and better. Absolutely (so far) no edgy quackie sound. No zinging noises. Just a great amplified sound.

More to follow. I will post about my installation experience. And I will make a recording of the pickup straight into a recorder so you can decide if I'm a crazy man. (Or at least as pertains to guitar amplification).

But so far, I'm blown away !
Old 01-19-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I did 2 sets (4 songs each) at the open mic last night. The first set the sound person had it dialed in terrific in the monitors. But, each performer brings up a different guitar and pickup combination. So, nothing stays the same. For my 2nd trip up, she didn't get it dialed in as well. And I noticed one string (G string) was very weak. It did improve when I added more mic to the mix for the next song. (There's a built in mic and piezo in the pickup)

I do have a cell phone recording of the 1st set. Plus I'll make some home recording of the pickup by itself later today, probably. And I'll analyze and report back in a day or so with sound samples so you can decide for yourself.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:49 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Marshall,

The vol pots will adjust the balance.

You can use a dowel rod and just move the preamp to the sound hold to adjust the one string.

If it us not adjusting you may have caused an issue inserting the cable, You have a spare we include for such an occurrence.

You will get it.

The strings will balance completely.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

OK. I have a couple recordings for your listening pleasure (**smirk**);

First one is a cell phone recording out in the room at a distillery open mic I played on Thursday. It's my 1957 J50 with the Go Acoustic pickup. The soundperson does some shaping for everyone's guitar, so it's not just a raw signal.

https://soundcloud.com/marshallsongs...social_sharing

The second sample is at home with the pickup going direct into a recorder. No microphone in the room. Now EQ or FX

https://soundcloud.com/marshallsongs...social_sharing

PS - the little thing I play in the last clip is something I use a lot for samples. It's an excerpt from a song of mine that uses big open chords as well as some 10th and 12th fret single note grabs, so I think it is good to use for pickup response sampling.

Last edited by Marshall; 01-21-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

You will notice some edginess to the pickup. I have to remember when I play at home thru my Genzler amp, that the amp is a superior sound, and I'm hearing some of the acoustic guitar as well, so pickups ALWAYS sound terrific there. Out in the live it's a different story.

I do believe this is an excellent pickup. I have some work to do in the next few days to try the string balancing thing that Paul Mc recommends. And I do think there's sonic room to make an IR (or two) for this guitar and pickup, to use for live performances that will improve the sound more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification