The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2023, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan33 View Post
Thanks for the comments, everyone! Perhaps a good example of “form follows function” and it may grow on the rest of us over time. Meanwhile, RainSong is another option, if you don’t mind shark fret markers.
The shark fret markers were my favorite thing about the RS Shorty I had. They were nowhere as cool as the sleek, modern, upturned soundhole in my Emeralds, though.

When you see the evolution of Emerald, it is clear how Alistair has grown as a guitar designer. Everything on the guitar just make sense, from the use, to the comfort, to the sound. Things you might think are minor, like the headstock design to allow for straight runs of the strings from the nut to the tuning pegs. Or those marvelous bevels all over the guitar, from the way it sits on your leg to how your hand feels in the cutaway. And that soundhole: it has a beautiful design and flow - it doesn't just allow the player to hear the guitar better, it is also built up for more strength; and the lines/design of it look like it would be right at home on an Italian sports car.

I have a couple nice Taylor acoustic guitars. They do a beautiful job with the finish and details. They sound great. But they look old fashioned to me compared to the Emeralds.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:22 AM

Default Speaking of aesthetics...

...is the slotted headstock for nylon string guitars just an aesthetic, or does it actually make a difference in tone, playability, or tuning stability?'

Because the X10 Slimline Nylon I'm looking at has a standard headstock.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
...is the slotted headstock for nylon string guitars just an aesthetic, or does it actually make a difference in tone, playability, or tuning stability?'

Because the X10 Slimline Nylon I'm looking at has a standard headstock.
I believe it is an aesthetic. I recall when Emerald did their first with that, carved out of a solid block of carbon fiber, that Alistair said it added to the classic look of a nylon guitar.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I believe it is an aesthetic. I recall when Emerald did their first with that, carved out of a solid block of carbon fiber, that Alistair said it added to the classic look of a nylon guitar.

And one of the best looking headstocks ever imo.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
And one of the best looking headstocks ever imo.
It *is* gorgeous. Not sure if it is $545 gorgeous, but the fact that I'm closer to "is" than "isn't" is a testament to how strong it is.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-06-2023, 09:12 AM

I don't play a lot of nylon string, and not enough to justify an Emerald for that. But if I were to order I would choose the paddle headstock instead of the slotted and save the $$$. JMO.... I reference the Blackbird El Capitan and its slotted headstock (although a bit weird) versus the Savoy with its paddle headstock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, emerald, soundhole