The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2023, 12:15 PM

Default Gettin' slippery Emerald

Has anyone tried to take the glossy finish on a Emerald X20 neck and make it satin to try to get it to be a little "slipperier"? Love this guitar but really have to load up on baby powder. And on a real hot stage that does not last all that long. I have heard talc works better. Only other complaint would be the low E string does not ring out any where as nice as my Rainsong. Have tried all sorts of strings. None of them make a difference. Both the Emerald and Rainsong guitars are fantastic guitars and way better than the Martin I sold to get the Emerald. If anyone has ever tried sanding the neck back to satin let me know what you think and how it looks. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2023, 01:36 PM

Emerald shoots all the necks and body in gloss. If you ask for satin they sand the neck with a fine grit to make it satin as one of the last steps. I know because I asked when I ordered my last custom from them, but I opten to keep it glossy. Cannot recall which grit of sandpaper or Scotch Brite they use, however.

I'm sure that Kevin or Davy K can answer that question if you send an email to [email protected]
Old 11-02-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

This thread reminds me of an appropriate song...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-10-2023, 01:43 PM

I love the finish on my Emerald necks. They're smooth as glass and it feels amazing. Satin finishes feel way less slippery to me, and I kind of hate them.

When I find that my hand drags a bit on the neck, that's when I know it needs to be cleaned. A little water with maybe a tiny bit of soap and I'm back in business. Same for my hands. Dirty hands make for a dirty guitar.

That's my experience, anyway.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:11 PM

I generally like satin necks too, and even the wooden necks get polished with play wear. The gloss necks on my Emerald and Rainsong guitars are just fine. They only get sticky if I sweat a lot, as in playing outdoors in the summer. Otherwise, I do not miss having a satin neck very much.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger55 View Post
Has anyone tried to take the glossy finish on a Emerald X20 neck and make it satin to try to get it to be a little "slipperier"? Love this guitar but really have to load up on baby powder. And on a real hot stage that does not last all that long. I have heard talc works better. Only other complaint would be the low E string does not ring out any where as nice as my Rainsong. Have tried all sorts of strings. None of them make a difference. Both the Emerald and Rainsong guitars are fantastic guitars and way better than the Martin I sold to get the Emerald. If anyone has ever tried sanding the neck back to satin let me know what you think and how it looks. Thanks!

I requested a satin neck when ordering my X20 from Emerald.
Later I picked up a used X30 with a gloss neck.

I can feel a difference between the gloss and satin neck but I have no difficulty switching back and forth between them.
I prefer the feel of the X20's satin neck, it does seem a little slipperier than the X30's gloss neck.

Here are a couple of photos of my an X20's satin neck that Emerald sent me when I received my X20.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 11-13-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

At B.I.G. this year, I went outside with a couple of wood guitars from the same luthier.

Back to back I had the opportunity to play two of the same model, one with satin and one with gloss.

Given the temperature was well up over 100 it was immediately noticeable how much easier the satin was to play when my hands were a bit stickier.

Indoors it was nowhere near as obvious.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:46 AM

A Scotch-brite pad can help slick up a guitar neck quickly and harmlessly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber