The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-28-2023, 08:36 AM

Default update

Finally got the replacement strings from Emerald, put them on yesterday.

LOVE IT

I think it is the thinner body that adds a little more of the treble snap I was hoping for.

This leaves me with two 1st World Problems:

1) I kinda don't really need the X20 Nylon anymore, I think. But now it's way too late to return it to Guitar Center. And it *is* gorgeous. I just think the depth and size swallow much of the woody/snappy sound characteristic of nylon strings, so that aspect is much more muted. It's still there, tho. And the guitar is louder. I haven't tried lower tension strings yet, which I've been led to believe might help.

I think the answer is to a/b the two guitars to find what the differences are, and how I'd use the differences in practice or performance. If I wouldn't use the X20 Nylon as much, I guess I have to sell it.

2) I now (or will soon, after the X5 arrives) have everything I want in my guitar stable. But kind of on the wrong guitars.

I really like the X10 steel. It's bright and easy to play, kind of seems like a Taylor to me. My Rainsong Dreadnought is cool. Sounds very Martin-y to me. I maybe prefer the increased boominess and bass response of the GXi, but it's just not as effortless as the Rainsong. I love the slotted headstock of the X20 Nylon and the X5 Nylon, but wish I had it on the X10 Slimline Nylon.

My ideal stable would probably be an X10 Slimline Nylon with slotted headstock and the Hexpander midi output that my X10 steel has. But that would have meant going custom instead of stock, which would have meant also getting the 2" wide nut. Which would then have meant I wouldn't have gotten the X5, but then would mean I wouldn't really need/want the X10 anymore. But then that would make a more stark contrast with the X20 Nylon (different nut width and fretboard radius), making it more necessary to kepe it. But returning the X10 steel to Guitar Center since I wouldn't need the Hexpander would mean I'd still want a lighter steel string, and so still be in the market for a less tricked-out X10. And then the Rainsong doesn't have stainless steel frets like Emerald does.

Ah, well, having too many guitars is a good problem to have, I guess.

I've only had even one Emerald for less than 3 months. I need more time to play them all to decide which, if any, really are redundant. All of them are fun to play, and I find myself reaching for different guitars on different days.

Once I have a better idea of what each one does best, I'll post some videos demonstrating them.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-28-2023, 11:58 AM

Here is my black Friday custom X7 purchase from last week:

Last edited by Emile640; 11-28-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:21 PM

very, very nice!
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber