The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2023, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default KDH Video on the Full Range of Emerald Guitars

EDIT: Not sure why the embed isn't working (at least for me). Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6mSl_WjNI

EDIT2: Fixed. Thanks RP for the free lesson

Last edited by OnTheFidele; 11-14-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-14-2023, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, RP!
Old 11-14-2023, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
Thanks, RP!
Glad to help out....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-15-2023, 04:45 AM

That's the most comprehensive review of the entire Emerald line I have seen.

Why did you have to post this OP? Now I want another one!!

Several sounded great, but really liked the sound of the X20 nylon!! Lol
Old 11-15-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
That's the most comprehensive review of the entire Emerald line I have seen.

Why did you have to post this OP? Now I want another one!!
LOL, I'm just trying to fit in

Quote:
Several sounded great, but really liked the sound of the X20 nylon!! Lol
Interesting, the X20 nylon stood out to me the most, too, sonically.

Kind of on that note, I've done quite a deep dive into videos and demos of CF guitars. I've found that most recordings of Emeralds are not flattering at all, compared to recordings of Rainsongs or McPhersons. I think it might be that they are miking them too far in rooms with too much echo. Wonder if anyone else has noticed the same thing...

So I wrote off Emeralds altogether at first, before my deep dive. Now, having heard many recordings, I'm surprised at just how rich the X7 sounds, for example, when it's properly miked. Honestly, if I had done the deep dive sooner, I might have pulled the trigger on an Emerald at the beginning of the Early Access sale, rather than trying to put in a custom Rainsong order. Not that I regret pulling the trigger on the CO-1100N2
Old 11-15-2023, 01:39 PM

Default Emerald Nylon Strings

I was lucky enough to stumble on an X20 Nylon, and grabbed it.
I was a little disappointed at first. It didn't have anywhere near the nylon string snap I expected after playing a Cordoba Stage, a Godin Multiac, and a Journey OC660.
After playing it 10 days, tho, the tone really started growing on me. It is clearly different than a steel string guitar. It certainly has the tone characteristic of a nylon string guitar. Just not as marked a difference from a steel string guitar as I expected.
I put it up for sale for a week, basically trying for a win-win: if someone was willing to meet the price, I'd make some money flipping it. But I fell in love with it first.

While it was up for sale, the original owner contacted me.
He agonized over all the specs and details, and was thoroughly disappointed when it arrived. He argued with Emerald about returning it, and couldn't.

In the end, he just couldn't get past his expectations.

I still wanted more obvious snap to the tone, so I took a chance and ordered an X10 Slimline Nylon, but only after I got some good enabling from this board (someone finally described what it felt and sounded like playing one). It was a calculated risk. I figured if it only sounded as nylon-y as my X20, I'd be fine with it. It had enough other differences from the X20 that I'd still play it even if the tone was exactly the same.

But my hope was that a shallower and smaller body would emphasize the snap tone. Partly because the Godin and Cordoba had more snap than the Journey...I began to wonder if what I liked was actually the plastick-y, shoebox-y sound you get from thin hollowbodies...in the same way that a jazz hollowbody or semihollow body electric guitar sounds more toylike than an acoustic *or* unplugged electric. Except that I like it?

Well, after it arrived, it sure enough does have more snap.

The point being, the tone you are hearing in the video is plugged in, likely with the piezo that emphasizes the nylon string characteristic. It doesn't necessarily sound that way in person and unplugged.

When I was working through the X20 and whether I was going to order an X10 Slimline Nylon or not, one thing several people said is that nylon strings just don't sound the same on Carbon Fiber guitars. Alistair even points out that they lighten up the top for nylon strings, but apparently there is only so much they can do.

So be careful before ordering a nylon string guitar from Emerald. I don't want you to go through the same emotional agony the original orderer of my X20 nylon did. I want you to have the experience I did, where I love both of my nylon Emerald guitars.

See if you can try one out before you order. Or calibrate your expectations.

I'll try to get a video up of mine played without amplification within the month.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-15-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the detailed heads up, brainfertilizer! Didn't realize it was amplified
Old 11-15-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
I was lucky enough to stumble on an X20 Nylon, and grabbed it.
I was a little disappointed at first. It didn't have anywhere near the nylon string snap I expected after playing a Cordoba Stage, a Godin Multiac, and a Journey OC660.
After playing it 10 days, tho, the tone really started growing on me. It is clearly different than a steel string guitar. It certainly has the tone characteristic of a nylon string guitar. Just not as marked a difference from a steel string guitar as I expected.
I put it up for sale for a week, basically trying for a win-win: if someone was willing to meet the price, I'd make some money flipping it. But I fell in love with it first.

While it was up for sale, the original owner contacted me.
He agonized over all the specs and details, and was thoroughly disappointed when it arrived. He argued with Emerald about returning it, and couldn't.

In the end, he just couldn't get past his expectations.

I still wanted more obvious snap to the tone, so I took a chance and ordered an X10 Slimline Nylon, but only after I got some good enabling from this board (someone finally described what it felt and sounded like playing one). It was a calculated risk. I figured if it only sounded as nylon-y as my X20, I'd be fine with it. It had enough other differences from the X20 that I'd still play it even if the tone was exactly the same.

But my hope was that a shallower and smaller body would emphasize the snap tone. Partly because the Godin and Cordoba had more snap than the Journey...I began to wonder if what I liked was actually the plastick-y, shoebox-y sound you get from thin hollowbodies...in the same way that a jazz hollowbody or semihollow body electric guitar sounds more toylike than an acoustic *or* unplugged electric. Except that I like it?

Well, after it arrived, it sure enough does have more snap.

The point being, the tone you are hearing in the video is plugged in, likely with the piezo that emphasizes the nylon string characteristic. It doesn't necessarily sound that way in person and unplugged.

When I was working through the X20 and whether I was going to order an X10 Slimline Nylon or not, one thing several people said is that nylon strings just don't sound the same on Carbon Fiber guitars. Alistair even points out that they lighten up the top for nylon strings, but apparently there is only so much they can do.

So be careful before ordering a nylon string guitar from Emerald. I don't want you to go through the same emotional agony the original orderer of my X20 nylon did. I want you to have the experience I did, where I love both of my nylon Emerald guitars.

See if you can try one out before you order. Or calibrate your expectations.

I'll try to get a video up of mine played without amplification within the month.
Thanks for the note bf. Yeah, I saw that X20 Nylon was plugged in but that's okay because how I would normally play it anyway. Sounded fantastic!!

However, I can't justify dropping that kind of money on a nylon string guitar.

Glad to hear that you are liking your new X10 Slimline Nylon too!
Old 11-15-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the note bf. Yeah, I saw that X20 Nylon was plugged in but that's okay because how I would normally play it anyway. Sounded fantastic!!

However, I can't justify dropping that kind of money on a nylon string guitar.

Glad to hear that you are liking your new X10 Slimline Nylon too!
Only bad part is the A string broke/unraveled in transit. Rather than replacing all the strings (because I've never changed nylon strings before), I'm waiting for the replacement pack to get here and just replacing the A string.

Then I'll be rocking into the night.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal

Last edited by brainfertilizer; 11-17-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:12 PM

Well that's a bummer bf!!

I wouldn't attempt to restring a nylon guitar either... Not even my fun Synergy Uke!! Lol. Fortunately those strings last a long time (still the originals) and sound terrific!!! I hope your replacement "A" arrives soon!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-15-2023 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-16-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Great video. Thanks for posting. The breadth of instruments Emerald has developed really is remarkable.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Great video. Thanks for posting. The breadth of instruments Emerald has developed really is remarkable.
Indeed, a very impressive lineup! Emerald offers something that would be suitable for almost everyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber