The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-18-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
At this point, I wouldn't ever consider replacing my wood guitars with CF, simply because you can't ! At least not tone wise. A spare bedroom with a Wellcare 6 gallon humidifier keeps them all happy and is very little trouble in our climate. The Sable can live in any room it wants though, which is nice. How did all those old timers ever make it with only wood guitars to chose from?
They cracked. A lot.

Go to any guitar shop in Phoenix with a large selection of older uses instruments and you will see top cracks and repaired cracks, and multiple repairs.

And before A/C became ubiquitous, we used swamp coolers, so often indoor humidity was higher than outside.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-18-2023, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Welcome to AZ Capt'n
Thanks, Mark. Our daughter told us we'd be getting here "after the hot time of the year." She lied.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:36 PM

It's relative. There is hot and there is freaking HOT! With mom still living in Sun City, we know more about the Valley of the Sun than we truly want to. We always tried to visit during late March and late October to be in the mellower shoulder weather, but that is not always possible. Winter trips are problematic because we have to drive over the mountains in northern Nevada to get there, ie: snow and ice at 7000 feet in Ely, NV. Once she moved into the nursing home and lost the spare bedroom, March/April was out because that conflicted with spring training and Cactus League so hotel prices tripled -- or worse -- assuming you could even get a room.

Back on track: As much as I like wood guitars, now that CF is a viable option it escapes me why anyone there would choose wood.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It's relative. There is hot and there is freaking HOT! With mom still living in Sun City, we know more about the Valley of the Sun than we truly want to. We always tried to visit during late March and late October to be in the mellower shoulder weather, but that is not always possible. Winter trips are problematic because we have to drive over the mountains in northern Nevada to get there, ie: snow and ice at 7000 feet in Ely, NV. Once she moved into the nursing home and lost the spare bedroom, March/April was out because that conflicted with spring training and Cactus League so hotel prices tripled -- or worse -- assuming you could even get a room.

Back on track: As much as I like wood guitars, now that CF is a viable option it escapes me why anyone there would choose wood.
I love my Rainsong, and the X-20 and Amicus and Cargo I no longer have, but, for me, there’s something magical about wood, both in sound and looks.

Brazilian

Koa

Waterfall Bubinga

Even Mahogany

Old 10-19-2023, 01:46 PM

Those are all lovely, and I really do appreciate the beauty of wood. But having spent so much time trying to keep good guitars humidified, and many dollars repairing them when things did not work out perfectly, I'm kinda done. The only wood instruments that I keep are my all-koa Taylor 424 and my koa and mango 'ukulele. Plus a couple of inexpensive guitars like a 33 year old Seagull M6 "beater" and an Alvarez ABT60 baritone.

I'd post pictures of my wooden ones if I could ever figure out how. I have the computer skills to hack this website (but would never) and have not ever successfully posted a picture. Please don't waste your time trying to explain how....
Old 10-19-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

If someone is looking for look of wood they need not go any farther than Emerald's Customer Guitar Gallery https://emeraldguitars.com/image-gallery-showcase/ for some amazing grains...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-19-2023, 02:19 PM

My wife has an X7 (older version 2) with koa veneer, so we have the best of both worlds. CF durability with the undeniable beauty of a koa top. She also has a bubinga veneer X7 too, but that will eventually go away. Ours looks a lot like this one:
https://emeraldguitars.com/galleries/x7-koa-7/

The only thing I have that is not exposed weave is a recently acquired Rainsong APSE, which is painted in copper burst. That is tasty in its own way.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They cracked. A lot.

Go to any guitar shop in Phoenix with a large selection of older uses instruments and you will see top cracks and repaired cracks, and multiple repairs.
Oh yeah, how right you are, I have been to several there, and the seam below the bridge opening up seems to be pretty common. I owned one of those. The valley of the sun is not the norm though (except for Jim now)...certainly on the extreme end of things for most of us I think.
Old 10-22-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, Mark. Our daughter told us we'd be getting here "after the hot time of the year." She lied.
hahah,

Only 100 IS after the HOT Time.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-23-2023, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
hahah,

Only 100 IS after the HOT Time.
This looks much better...

Paper signing today, we get the keys to the new house on Wednesday. Workers scheduled to do some things we're adding on Thursday and Friday; I'm hoping to get guitars out of the climate controlled storage unit and into the house soon after.

I am wearing out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber