The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Default JJB Transducers and their place

I'm a fan of soundboard transducers, and the only ones I've used are JJBs. Local shops aren't very acoustic-minded, so there's not anyplace local to sample SBTs before buying.

My previous guitar, into which I twice installed a 3-bud JJB unit (once into a pre-existing onboard preamp; local luthier later wired the buds straight to the endpin jack and covered the barn door for me; second install was one to add the volume/tone controls), was all solid, and the mid-focused JJBs took some drastic EQing (at preamp and board) to bring tone to a balance point that I found acceptable.

But NOW, I just installed a refurbished set (as Jesse will replace heads on a badly deinstalled unit for $5 per plus shipping, so it was a no-brainer to me) on my wife's all-laminate Ibanez pawn shop model from the mid 90s. To my ears, at least using my Ultrasound amp, that little puppy sounds better plugged in than not, because what made my solid-body dreadnought sound overly dark puts serious meat on the bones of this laminate's sound when amplified.

All that to say, if you've got a bright-sounding guitar, Jesse at JJB just may be the hook-up you need for a well-balanced amplified sound (because we all know, "my guitar, only louder" isn't always what we truly want). I'm not connected to JJB, except as a repeat customer, and while I don't plan to put one of their units in my J-45, I'd hate for someone to miss out on the great deal their units can be for the right project.

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM

I've just installed the JJB 3 transducer system into my Hand made OM.Jessie wired it for me to plug straight into my Shertler Magnetico AG6.Wasn't a success. I've since wired the JJB transducers to the ring contact of a stereo jack socket on the guitar and the Schertler Magnetico to the tip.I use a stereo Y lead feeding two separate inputs on the amp.Perfect.The schertler was good before but blending it with the JJB SBT has just added another dimension.
I know nothing about the K&K mini but must highly recommend the JJB as it has worked out perfectly for me.By the way,Jessie has been great modifying the system to my spec.Great old time customer service.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic View Post
I've just installed the JJB 3 transducer system into my Hand made OM.Jessie wired it for me to plug straight into my Shertler Magnetico AG6.Wasn't a success. I've since wired the JJB transducers to the ring contact of a stereo jack socket on the guitar and the Schertler Magnetico to the tip.I use a stereo Y lead feeding two separate inputs on the amp.Perfect.The schertler was good before but blending it with the JJB SBT has just added another dimension.
I know nothing about the K&K mini but must highly recommend the JJB as it has worked out perfectly for me.By the way,Jessie has been great modifying the system to my spec.Great old time customer service.
Dear artistic
Have you witnessed any battery issue in the Magnetico since connecting the JJB to the jack? I know Schertler uses a stereo jack on magnetico where one of the lines serves as a on-off switch for the circuit. Very interesting experiment anyway.. Does it mean it is possible to use the Magnetico, its condenser optional mic and K&K/JJB all into a the Magnetico jack with very little modifications? I am wondering how fantastic it could sound!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 AM

Marco,
I had to replace the lovely blue Schertler jack socket with one with four connectors so as to maintain the battery switching facility for the Magnetico.*SOHO* GUITAR END PIN PANEL JACK which I purchased from Papa D in the UK for £6.98.Fishman also market one called the "switchjack" which has the same spec.but a lot more expensive.
It is a relatively simple matter to fit and rewire the new jack socket and as you suggested the combination of Magnetico/Mic. and SBT is really something and completely controllable using the two volume controls on the Mag.pickup and separate EQ on the amp for both sources.
It is certainly well worth doing for the range and nuances that can be dialled in.
At long last I'm happy with the amplified sound from my acoustic.

Ken.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:13 AM

Thank you Ken, very interesting indeed!

is this the correct wire scheme?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 AM

That's the configuration Marco for the Fishman.As long as you check for continuity before soldering. The socket I used has the 2nd shortest terminal as the switch but if you are going to install and rewire a new jack socket you would of course check all that.Good luck,you won't regret it.

Ken.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification