The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Pleasant surprise: B-Band AST as alternative to UST (long read)

The sample size is too small to call it a trend but both times I've had guitars with the B-Band UST I had the same problem: low signal, high noise. This time, after reading others' positive reviews I decided the noise was not normal and contacted Pekka at B-Band. He was very helpful and offered to replace the defective UST for free under warranty or send the AST, their soundboard transducer at a discount. I opted for the AST, as I don't play high volume situations. Two days later, it came and it's a simple adhesive rectangle very easy to install - I've done several K&K installs and this was far simpler. Easy to place, then it just plugs into the existing preamp (mine is the A3T) and you're set.

After swapping out pickups, I plugged in. The amp is the old double-decker Fender Acoustasonic SFX and is probably 75 lbs - very loud - and happened to be at the same levels from when I was trying to get the most out of the UST. My cable is one of those Taylor cords with a volume knob I turn off before unplugging - very handy. I barely started to turn up the volume at all and it was instantly obvious the signal was STRONG and very low-noise. Impressive balance, and sounds a lot like a mic. I thought volume before feedback was decent as well, although not as good as an undersaddle. Seriously, this B-Band AST 1470 rivals my K&K+RedEye for warmth and natural quality to the sound.

The guitar is the all-solid mahogany S&P Folk. It now sounds better unplugged to my ears without the UST. Plugged in, the AST works great for percussive playing while looping and I can add countless layers without the noise building up.

If anyone out there is displeased with their B-Band UST and doesn't need to be totally feedback proof, the AST probably plugs into your existing preamp and is a very nice alternative.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Granted, I have only plugged my KR acoustic into an amp just once, I thought my B-Band AST+UST sounded killer. The AST and UST by themselves were meh as was a Taylor.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM

I have the B-Band A2.2 XOM system (AST/UST and internal mixing preamp) in three of my main giggers Gibson 50's reissue J45, Martin D17M, and Gibson J100 Xtra. It sounds great in all three guitars. As a matter of fact it's the only pickup that really brings out the tone in my Gibson J-100 Xtra! It took me a while to find the right balance between the AST and UST, but when I did, I really learned to like this system. I have a hard time gigging now with any of my non B-Band guitars. One of the tricks I had to do to dial that pickup was to make sure to plug the hole where the UST passes through the bridge with a little silicone or cork. What that did was eliminate a slight metallic ring I heard in the system.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Yeah, a dual source rig will usually be superior, and that is probably where most people have the AST. I just think it's compelling to be able to so easily do (what I consider) an upgrade from UST to AST single source with your existing preamp.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 PM

B-band customer service is VERY good. I have thought of trying the AST in my B-band equipped guitar but haven't as I wasn't sure how well the preamp would handle it. Nice to hear that it works just fine. I will have to give it a try now.

Thanks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification