The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM

If it is just you I would consider stretching your budget if you can and getting a Fishman Sa220. Much simpler and portable than the small traditional PA rigs and better quality. They are $999 but if you can find a sale it won't be much over your budget and in the long run you'll be better off. You'd still need cables, mic and mic stand if you don't already have those on top of it. I use two of these with a mixer in front of them for an 8 piece jazz band. I wasted time and money messing around with lower priced power cabs and mixers that had a lot of problems. I've never regretted taking the plunge They have more than enough power for us and can be set behind the band eliminating monitors. Your set up and needs are exactly what they are designed for.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:17 AM

In my experience over the years in bands and solo gigs, the best place to put your money is in speakers.

I use, and dearly love, EV SX300 speakers. 12" woofer w/horn, passive, smallish and lightish but they have a solid midrange that cuts through bar-crowd noise like a knife yet still sounds normal. I bought a cheap-o Beringer powered head, mono, and the combo sounds great. You can find the speakers for $300/ea +/- used, and the head cost me $200 or so.

My point is that even with an inexpensive power source these things shine. When I hook up my QSC PLX1802 power amp to them, it's even better - the highs are transparent and you are clearly heard in every part of the room without being loud.

Get excellent speakers first, then a less expensive powered head. I'm very happy with these and I've not heard another PA in town that comes close - not even Mackies (which sound way woofy and flabby in the midrange to me).YMMV!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 AM

I found a used like new fishman on craigslist in my area. I offered 600 and he countered with 640. I still have to go play it and check it out but for that kind of money and all the good reviews I've read about it, it seems like a no brainer? I know a lot of you on here like to piece together PA's and also like the bose systems but for me its all about money right now. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all the help. I'm sure glad I posted here before I went out and bought that package system I linked.
For the Fishman users is there anything specific I should look for or listen for when testing it out?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh09 View Post
I found a used like new fishman on craigslist in my area. I offered 600 and he countered with 640. I still have to go play it and check it out but for that kind of money and all the good reviews I've read about it, it seems like a no brainer? I know a lot of you on here like to piece together PA's and also like the bose systems but for me its all about money right now. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all the help. I'm sure glad I posted here before I went out and bought that package system I linked.
For the Fishman users is there anything specific I should look for or listen for when testing it out?
The Fishman is a good compromise between the combo amp route and the small PA route. Better dispersion than most combo amps, but less compact. Less flexible and forceful than a good small PA, but a lot more compact and portable. It will be useful for a lot of gigs, depending on where opportunities take you.

Louis
Old 08-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Assuming the SA220 you are about to audtion is in "like new condition", I think you are going to be extremely happy with it. Just make sure the case is in good shape (zippers) and that it looks good. Then, plug it in and see if it works. If so, you are good to go.

Like all systems, it is likely to take some EQ tweaking. Most people run them at 1:00 for the highs eq, 10:00 for the low eq and 12:00 for the low eq. ( I find the low eq is more sensitive to the venue than the others. I have been known to run it at 10:00 and even 2:00 depending on the acoustics at the venu)
And, again, each venue is different so you may need the very handy notch filter to get rid of unwanted sympathetic tones.

Also, you did not specify your pickup. If it is active, you are golden. If it is passive, if your gig is realtivley quiet (people sitting around listening to you) you will probably be fine just plugging straight in. If, however, you are playing in a very loud venu, then an added pre-amp (I use the RedEye) will do wonders for crisping up the tone to penetrate the wall of sound.

Good luck,
Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 08-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hey I'm looking to buy a pa system for some up coming shows and I'm wondering how big of a pa system I need or don't I need? Most of my shows are at medium sized, to smaller bars or American Legions.
I've been looking at this package deal from Guitar Center. It seems to get really good reviews although I'm sure the mic's aren't great but the rest of the equipment seems fairly decent. Is a system like this too big for what I'm looking for or not really big enough? My act consist of me and my guitar. I don't want to break the bank so I thought this would be a good starting point. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Below is a link to the PA system.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-M...62-i1736772.gc

I happen to think that this deal from GC is a pretty darn good deal!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM

Default getting started

I have used both the Fishman SA220 and the Bose Compact. Somewhere here in the Archieves, you can find an extensive review I did of the two. You will not regret getting either, nor will your back. The Fishman has 2 XLR inputs, while the Bose has just one (they're assuming that you only play one guitar and that every guitar has a pickup).

A small mixer will not add much more cost and you can do without it on the Fishman or the Bose, as long as it's just you. If you get a cheapie, you can trade up later on. I haven't observed significant sound differences in mixers when based solely upon the price. With more expensive ones, you can do more things and they will last longer and be more reliable. I wonder if my observations on that are borne out by others?

Though I don't have personal experience with them, the QSCs are very well-liked. You could start with one and add another later. My only question would be, would a single one have adequate dispersion? One will be loud enough and should sound good.

I would have no hesitation on buying used mikes, things like the Shure 57 and 58s, Audix i5 and M5, not much to go wrong with them. Figure out how much cable you will need and get only a bit extra to save more money. New cables all seem to come with lifetime warranties, so when getting started, that is another spot where you can economize.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hey I'm looking to buy a pa system for some up coming shows
Below is a link to the PA system.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-M...62-i1736772.gc
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I happen to think that this deal from GC is a pretty darn good deal!
How so? I wouldn't pay a nickel for that level of gear. This is gear that's designed to appeal to the complete novice (price-wise), and nothing more. The $1299. "suggested retail" price, is a complete joke, and even at $399. it's wayyyy over-priced.

I agree with those who recommended calling Mike Pyle. Mike's a straight-shooter, and you'd be very hard pressed to find better deals(and advice), on quality components than what Mike can offer.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM

Thanks again everyone for the help.. So over the weekend I did some research on the Bose L1 system and the Fishman I am going to go look at. Also I read some on various powered speakers. My question is when they say a unit like the Fishman is good for small to mid-sized venues. What is a small venue and what is a mid sized venue?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
. My question is when they say a unit like the Fishman is good for small to mid-sized venues. What is a small venue and what is a mid sized venue?
I have played outdoor venues with 300 people and have never exceeded 6 on my gain. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've heard a lot about the fishman unit but I just don't see how that can put out enough sound. But I am a beginner when it comes to PA systems so I'll have to do some more research.. Thanks..
The SA220 has no problem with putting out quality sound at appropriate levels for the types of venues you describe, engineered for the frequencies of the human voice and guitar, and in a really smart and compact package with smart features. BTW, it offers reverbs on both channels whereas the Bose Compact does not, as I understand, so add an effects unit if you want reverb. Super easy, reliable, great quality, great customer support. Best gear money I ever spent.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Lots of good advice and recommendations on here. A few months ago, I needed a pa system too and had to ask myself what would be best for the long haul. Now I already had the mic's and stands and most of the cables. I wound up buying a powered PA head with passive speakers and I totally love it! Its the Peavey XR8300 with a set of Peavey PR12.
I paid $1000 for it and Z sounds through in two 25ft mic cables for free. My guitar has an active pickup in it and the rig works great for me doing solo gigs and Its an 8 channel pa head so when I play with a full band, we are covered for up to medium sized gigs. Anyway, Its something to think about, Maybe a smaller system would work for you but when/if you ever land a bigger gig you'll need more channels. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Lucas Nano 300?

Been liking the Lucas Nano 300. Small, light, powerful. It's great for smaller venues. It's being used with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. I understand they recently released the 600 version of this. Hard to find here in the states, but I acquired this one from ebay. Kinda like a fish stick or bose compact, but cheaper. One note... get the "stand kit" with it out of the gate. Very limited application otherwise.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 PM

I don't have any firsthand experience with any of these options other than the Bose Compact and the QSC K10 powered speakers. Both of these are above your price range (new prices anyway), but I'll comment a little on these.

I got a Bose Compact earlier this summer. I've been very pleased with it. It has worked well in two different outdoor venues, one of which being a Farmer's Market, and indoors it sounds fabulous too, filling a space with sound in a very uniform way. What I find remarkable about this unit, in addition to the great sound, is the way it spreads the sound over a very wide approximately 180 degree arc, and how uniform the sound is at different angles and at different distances. We (my daughter, wife, and I) have gotten compliments on our sound since starting to use this. It sounds much better than the church's PA system we used to use.

A QSC K10 gets used regularly at big events where I work. I've been impressed by the sound quality, but what has also struck me is how much narrower the spread of the sound is compared to the Bose. And outside the 90 degree zone the sound is very muffled and almost useless to listen to.

I don't know what the input options are with the K10, but I do know that with the Bose you can plug in a microphone and a guitar simultaneously with no extra mixer (and you could also plug in an input from an iPod, computer, stereo system, etc). So if you have pickups in your guitar, and if you got a microphone and a mic stand, these things would be all you would need to be able to perform using a Bose Compact. (Note: I use a RedEye preamp with our K&K equipped guitars, and this gives a more acoustic sound, but I think the sound of the guitar plugged directly into the Bose might work quite well for country music).

Again though, I don't know what prices are like for used Bose Compacts (or QSC K10 speakers), so I don't know whether this is a feasible option for you.

Last edited by wcap; 09-07-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Two weeks ago I played outdoors at a street festival with over 1000 people. I used one Bose L1 compact. Drums, bass, two guitars, and 3 singers. I used a Allen and Heath mixer. We had no problems being heard and received many compliments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification