The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Default DXR10 versus JBL PRX7 10

I know there have been many threads/posts regarding speakers. I am interested in these two models. I had a chance to listen to the JBL PRX7 10 at a smaller guitar center. But they didn't have the Yamahas. They'd be used mainly in acoustic duo with two vocals, two guitars, instrument mic for dobro and banjo. Country, folk, bluegrass, some pop. We would be doing mainly smaller local gigs in our area. I live in a rural area and this summer it's been hard to get away to a larger shop that has this equipment for a first hand listen. I would appreciate any feedback from those having first hand experience with either or hopefully both of these speakers. I am ruling out 12 inch speakers for now in favor of Lighter weight and portability. I have a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer I'd like to put to use with the speakers.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 PM

I don't have any direct experience with the JBL, but these are both good, highly regarded speakers. The JBL PRX line, as I understand it, is a step up in quality from the Yamaha DXRs, more akin to the Yamaha DSR line (but they don't make a 10" DSR). For an acoustic duo, I suspect you'd be very happy with either of these. The JBL is just a little heavier and a little more expensive, a little louder and deeper, maybe, too, but that probably won't matter that much for your application.

Louis
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 AM

I can't comment on the Yamaha's I'm sure they're fine speakers but I've owned a pair of PRX 712's for a few months and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm sure I could have been happy with the 10's but I decided to go 12's for a little more oomph when I need it.

They're very smooth sounding, can fill a decent sized room and the cabinets are wood which I prefer
Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 AM

How do the DXR10's compare to the EV ZLX range?

The EV does'nt do a 10 inch 8 & 12 and 15inch.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM

I was looking to upgrade recently and the DXR10's were the front runners, lovely speakers. I was able to listen to the JBL's but not side by side and liked them too. As Louis said, a little bigger, heavier and maybe a bit more bottom end. Smooth and nice.

I ended up with QSC 10's ... hey got a good deal and realistically the differences between any of these would be almost unnoticeable in any live setting. Also I think the little refinements on the QSC, rubber bumpers and the handles etc make them maybe a little better as a live speaker being shoved around. But.... pick one... you can't really go wrong.

Kris
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Sometime you can find a good deal on a pair of RCF 310's. Check around. I have the 312's and they're phenomenal speakers.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks For the responses everyone. I did end up ordering the JBL PRX7 10. Should arrive later this week. I have heard a lot of good comments about the RCF speakers, but no chance to hear them live. I ordered from Musicians Friend.

Last edited by firelakekid2; 09-01-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Thanks For the responses everyone. I did end up ordering the JBL PRX7 10. Should arrive later this week. I have heard a lot of good comments about the RCF speakers, but no chance to hear them live. I ordered from Musicians Friend.
I use the PRX 710 as my onstage monitor plus one or two RCF HD12s out front and I am very happy with my sound.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification