The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Wiping down inside of guitar due to smoke smell – Any advice?

Hi all, I know this seems like a kind of odd to be in the custom shop thread but I was thinking I would get more technical input from builders.

I recently purchased a Goodall guitar which sounds amazing but was owned by a lifetime smoker. I ended up having to get a new case and my local tech and I took multiple passes on getting all the tobacco tar off the outside.
The inside was a different story. I took a decent amount of time taping the guitar to get all the tobacco bits out of the little crevices and vacuuming them up but the inside still smells bad and you can get whiffs of it while playing. I was wondering if there was any benefit to using very lightly damped towel with some type of solution on it to help wipe the inside of the guitar? Obviously it’s unfinished wood so I definitely will error on the side of not damaging anything and living with the smoke smell.

My guitar is kept in its case while not played with humidipaks to control temperature. I’ve also gotten a few small bags of activated charcoal that I play inside the sound hole with the humidipak but I don’t expect much from those as those are passive deodorizers.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 02:18 PM

The thread below is for the case but maybe some ideas could be applied while the guitar is being stored?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=244607

I’d probably try something with baking soda first. Then add some cedar chips to get a woody smell after.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

I personally would NOT use any damp rags or cleaning chemicals inside the guitar. Remove the strings. put a cup of baking soda in a small cup and / or a few charcoal briquettes inside the guitar body and seal the soundhole with a piece of cardboard and let it set for a week to absorb odors.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:31 PM

You could also try stuffing the inside of the guitar with dryer sheets for a few days. I'd by the unscented kind and stuff it full and let it sit for a week or so.

Good luck, getting that smell out of wood is going to be a challenge I think.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

What all these guys said, plus, water will not touch tobacco tar. It is tar, after all. It is really tough to remove without a very volatile solvent, which would be problematic, obviously. (That's why the stuff is so hurtful to lung tissue.)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:41 PM

People have used, rice, coffee grounds, drier sheets, and other things for years. Sometimes one works, sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 to get some relief. The other product that has excellent efficacy for odors is an ozone generator. Most of the things mentioned will work a little but none of them will get into crevices and crannies that are tighter/smaller than those items (like rice). Also, at times, you can't get rid of some odors.

I would try the ozone generator and if it doesn't eliminate the smell, I would sell the Goodall to someone that isn't offended by the smell and buy another Goodall. They are too good to be annoyed while playing one due to a malodorous condition.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:39 AM

From Copilot:

Removing cigarette smell from an acoustic guitar can be a bit tricky, but there are several methods you can try:

1. **Open Air**: Keep your guitar and its case in open air as much as possible to allow fresh air to circulate around them¹.
2. **Ozone Generator**: Rent an ozone generator from a tool rental shop. They're effective at eliminating odors but be sure to remove any leather straps as ozone can dry out leather¹.
3. **Coffee Grounds**: Place coffee grounds inside the guitar's soundhole and case. After a few days, vacuum them out¹.
4. **Cedar Chips**: Put cedar chips in cloth bags and leave them inside the guitar and case for about a week¹.
5. **Ozium**: Use Ozium, an air sanitizer, by spraying it on a cotton rag and placing it inside the soundhole and case¹.
6. **Dryer Sheets**: Fit dryer sheets into your soundhole and case to help eliminate the odor¹.
7. **Scent Spray for Hunting**: Scent-eliminating sprays used by hunters can also be effective on guitars¹.

Remember, it's important to be gentle with your guitar and avoid using any harsh chemicals that could damage the wood or finish. Always test a small, inconspicuous area first before applying any substance to the entire guitar.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/13/2024
(1) How to Get That Cigarette Smell Out of Your Guitar. https://www.rosewoodandhog.com/how-t...out-of-guitar/.
(2) Long List of Guitar / Guitar Case Smoke and Odor Removal Methods - The .... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=244607.
(3) How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Guitar. https://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-g...out-of-guitar/.
(4) Getting the smoke smell out of an Acoustic - The Acoustic Guitar Forum. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ad.php?t=58630.
(5) Cigarette Smell on guitar.. can you remove? - Harmony Central. https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...an-you-remove/.

From Claude:

Here are some tips to help remove the cigarette smell from an acoustic guitar:

1. Air it out - Take the guitar out of its case and place it in a well-ventilated area, away from any smoke. Let it sit for several days to air out.

2. Use charcoal - Place a bowl of activated charcoal or charcoal bags near the guitar. The charcoal will help absorb the odors.

3. Baking soda - Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the entire surface of the guitar, including the soundhole. Let it sit for a few hours before wiping it clean.

4. Vinegar - Wipe down the guitar with a diluted white vinegar solution (1 part vinegar to 3 parts water). The vinegar will help neutralize odors.

5. Ozone treatment - Consider using an ozone generator to fill the area around the guitar. The ozone will help break down the odor-causing compounds.

6. Clean the interior - Remove the strings and clean the interior of the guitar with a soft cloth. Wipe down the inside of the soundhole and hard to reach areas.

7. Conditioning - Once the smell is reduced, condition the guitar's wood surfaces to help replenish any lost moisture and oils.

Be very gentle when cleaning the guitar to avoid any damage to the finish or components. With patience and the right methods, you should be able to significantly reduce or eliminate the cigarette odor.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:12 AM

Fabreze:
https://www.febreze.com/en-us/ingred...ur-ingredients
Supposed to be a miracle compound. Maybe spray some on old towel and stuff the guitar for a while
Old 04-13-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I personally would NOT use any damp rags or cleaning chemicals inside the guitar. Remove the strings. put a cup of baking soda in a small cup and / or a few charcoal briquettes inside the guitar body and seal the soundhole with a piece of cardboard and let it set for a week to absorb odors.
Good advice above. I played a cigar lounge gig years ago (it seemed like a good idea at the time). Afterwards I used activated charcoal for an aquarium similar to what Tim has recommended above with charcoal. Worked like a charm.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for all of the advice! Seems like a lot of options available. The charcoal bags do seem to help a little. One of the posts had recommended using a fan to actively push air into the guitar. I think ill give that a try in small bursts including the charcoal. I really don't want to dry out the wood too much with a fan constantly blowing.

I'll update if it seems to be getting better. Thank you all again! I appreciate it!
Old 04-13-2024, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

An ozone generator will remove cigarette odor … BUT … it can also break down some plastics so I would not suggest using it around a guitar.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:58 PM

Nohing is going to really get rid of the smell except for ultraviolet light. Take the guitar out of the case and stick both in bright sunlight, several sessions over the course of a few weeks. I had a Gretsch 6120 and case that reeked of cigarettes as the previous owner was a heavy smoker who died of emphysema. Tried all of the suggestions in the above posts, dryer sheets, coffee, ozium, febreeze, charcoal bags, etc. Someone recommended ultraviolet light (sunlight) and it is the ONLY thing that really worked.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:00 PM

Baking soda worked for me…
Old 04-14-2024, 01:40 PM

i'm no help cause i really like the smell of tobacco and coffee
Old 04-15-2024, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Activated Charcoal

I bought hard-to-find Nikon camera lens on eBay and when it showed up it absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried cleaning it several times, but it didn't help. After much research, I bought a container of activated charcoal. I put the lens in a sealed bag with the activated charcoal (contained in a mesh bag), and left it there for a few weeks. It permanently removed the cigarette smoke smell with no side effects.

I would recommend buying a container of activated charcoal, preferably one that comes with a large mesh bag to store it in. You can just place the mesh bag inside the sound hole when you have the guitar stored in its case. It will remove the odor over time.

Activated charcoal is far more effective at removing odors than baking soda:
https://www.innofresh.com/activated-...ated-charcoal/

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop