The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Help on basic recording principals

I'm hoping someone can help me understand some basic recording principals. After a bit of online research I'm a bit confused.

What I want to do is first record myself playing the guitar rhythm of a song, then go back and record a lead. I'm looking for something fairly simple and inexpensive but I don't quite understand what features I need. Do I need a two-track recorder? Two channel? Something else?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:27 PM

you may want to post what equipment you currently have as that could help us to make a more informed response.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-17-2014, 05:02 PM

You need something to record on, and with.

Can I suggest picking up the Idiots Guide to Home Recording. And no, I'm not being snarky. I have the book, and it covers the basics in a fairly clear, decent fashion.

However, to cover a couple of things.

You can buy a studio in a box, from someone like Tascam, that you just plug a mic or guitar into it.

If you have a PC, you'll need some kind of interface to plug the guitar or mic into. It can then use USB or Firewire to talk to your PC. In the PC, you'll need recording software. On the Mac, you can use GarageBand. On the PC, Audacity is free.

With either the PC or SIAB, You want to multi track. You record the first track. You then record a second track while listening to the first track. They are then two seperate recordings, in the same piece of software. You can alter the sound of them, add reverb individually, change the volume or tone individually. You then create a mix of those out of the software into a single wav or MP3 file.

This stuff is very easy to do simply, though it might sound complicated, which is why I suggest the book. What is very hard is making it sound any good. It's hard, and can be very expensive.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM

"inexpensive" is a relative thing - what's your budget? The Zoom H2n might be a solution..

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM

"Can I suggest picking up the Idiots Guide to Home Recording. And no, I'm not being snarky. I have the book, and it covers the basics in a fairly clear, decent fashion."

I may do that. Right now I have no equipment and about zero knowledge on recording so it's difficult to make sense of various product specifications.

I'm pretty much an intermediate guitar player. My main purpose is to try and improve and expand my playing. I figure if I record a rhythm, I can then use that to learn and create some lead work. Recoding the lead over the rhythm would be nice so I could later listen to what I sound like.

If something like a Zoom H2N works, that'd be great. My budget is a few hundred bucks and if a $150 Zoom does the job, all the better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD