The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Default Low tension strings on a L13

Hi, IŽd like to try silk and steels on my L13 as that is what my guitar teacher uses (fingerpicking blues) and I like the sound. Now, the L13 doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, does that mean that low tension strings would be likely to buzz? At the moment the action is amazingly low without any buzz with PB 12s. But here in Barcelona the only silk and steels around are daddario 11s, so I work that out to be quite a bit of less tension. I know that Ernie Ball do a silk and steel with phosphor bronze windings in a 13 gauge, so am I best off having them shipped over to Spain instead of the daddario 11s? In Barcelona the range of strings is small...

Saying this doesn't work out, someone mentioned that I could try John Pearse's nickle wound strings (12 or 13s? considering tension?). Anyone tried these on a carbon fibre?

If it were the case that I got buzzing, I suppose I could try getting a new saddle to raise the action. Would I be able to buy a tusq saddle that is right for the L13 or would I need to take it to a tech to get it right?
(hypothetical stuff here - still trying new strings to see what works best for my blues playing).

Thanks
Christian

Last edited by sirwhale; 10-12-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:41 AM

All you can do is try, doubt the neck will move much if any. If you want to raise the saddle a bit, just try making a schim out of plastic credit cards, business cards etc. easy to do and to take out if you go back.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-12-2014, 04:51 AM

ahhh doubleneck, my wallet (and girlfriend) don't like you, but my guitar agrees. I don't think the neck will move at all, i just think with the extra movement of the lighter gauges there migh tbe some buzz issues. I'll order some 11 PB silks (john pearse) and some 13s (Ernie ball) and see what happens with those. I'll try the nickles (John Pearse) later.

Still, if anyone has any experience with these, I'd like to hear. I'll post my updates later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber