The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have an early '08 Cargo and had a late '08 GXi, neither of which have/had any neck issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 PM

In response to above, I don't thing it was the early CA's that had neck issues. It was more random than that. At the end they included the setup measurement on a card signed by an employee making them responsible if bad product was shipped.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM

oh...sorry to hear that..it happened to me also...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Bought my CA Cargo Raw in 2010.....no issues what so ever. In fact, I just took it to Guitar Center to show it to their tech (who is a friend) and I must have had 5-6 GC employees fussing over it! None of them ever played a CA before and they were blown away by how much fun this little guy is to play.....and the volume. I had to pry it out of their hands! I think more than a few changed their minds about carbon fiber guitars.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 AM

Red face

Sorry about your experience there
I bought all my CF sight unseen and have been exceptionally fortunate that none had neck issues
Feeling blessed ...
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 08-25-2021, 06:22 PM

Default bridge damage from strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterjackson2 View Post
I must just be lucky. I currently own 4 pre-Peavey CA's. I previously owned several others (all off Ebay or forums) and over the past 10 years or so have probably played at least a dozen more. I keep looking for the neck or intonation issues I read about all the time but have yet to find any. As Kramster said, there were some early ones CA admitted had neck issues and most were quickly returned.

have you had any damage occur on the bridge? I have pre-Peavey legacy. The strings seemed to have worn into the bridge and is basically cutting into the material

It's an old CA I bought many years ago now and it was old when I bought it haha.
However it still plays great, has some intonation issues, but the bridge thing seems to be the final straw since my strings are starting to pull up to the point where the twists in the strings are reach the saddle!
Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnam00 View Post
have you had any damage occur on the bridge? I have pre-Peavey legacy. The strings seemed to have worn into the bridge and is basically cutting into the material

It's an old CA I bought many years ago now and it was old when I bought it haha.
However it still plays great, has some intonation issues, but the bridge thing seems to be the final straw since my strings are starting to pull up to the point where the twists in the strings are reach the saddle!

. https://peavey.com/ItemFiles/Image/119194_37500.jpg

Hi Jnam

Welcome to acousticguitarforum.

This linked picture of a new CA Legacy on the Peavey website shows the twists on the high b and e strings halfway between the pin and the saddle. Can you post a close-up of yours?

Is yours similar or closer to the bridge? Are the other strings showing part of the twist? Has it changed over time?

Your guitar tech can tell you if it's OK or needs repair.

First they'll check the bridge pins for wear.

If OK they'll check the pin hole and string slot for damage.

On a wood guitar repair of damaged pin hole/slot is to drill for a hardwood dowel insert, then re-drill the pin hole.

For carbon fibre they'll probably fill with a hard grade of epoxy resin before drilling a fresh string pin hole. (If they are new to carbon fibre it's worth mentioning that carbon fibre workers wear a mask to avoid breathing in particles).

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-28-2021, 07:07 AM

I had several back in the pre-Peavey days and one of them definitely had too much relief, a bit of twist, and not an ideal neck angle. Kind of like a Martin from the pre truss rod era. If you owned such a Martin you could reset the neck or refret, but no such luck with a CA. However, you are also pretty much guaranteed it's not going to get worse. It was built with not quite enough stiffness or an ideal angle.

So the bottom line, with the best that can be done with string gauge, bridge sanding, saddle sanding, and nut slots, does it play well enough?

I imagine you could refret and plane the fingerboard as I think it is solid epoxy (with some sort of filler added such as silica or chopped graphite, most likely silica...sand). But with stainless frets that seems like an expensive option that might not work out.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber