The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2024, 05:37 PM

Default Steaming out minor dents?

How difficult is it to successfully steam out a very minor (almost imperceptible) capo dent in the back of a neck? Satin finished, mahogany neck.

I’ve never in my life caused a dent from a capo, but it appears that I may have finally accomplished it.

I would be happy to leave things as they are if there is risk involved, but if it’s somewhat simple I’d like to have them removed.

Thanks
Rb
Old 02-08-2024, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

It's easy, but it doesn't always work. Be sure it's in the wood and not the finish as it won't do anything for finish damage.
Go slow and be sure to move the cloth around so you're using moist sections. Steam is the key here. If you haven't done it before, try it on a piece of wood so you can get a quick feel for what's going to happen.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:36 AM

Default Steam can work…

Where the wood fibres are crushed but not cut. It’s shocking how big a dent can be removed in some cases. I use a soldering iron with a wide chisel tip for this. A wet piece of cotton cloth provides the steam.

Word of caution. Steam can damage finish. I only use this technique on unfinished wood or where shellac was used as the finish as this can be repaired easily. For nitrocellulose and other finishes it might be better to drop fill the dent with more finish. Other builder on the forum with more finish expertise may be able to advise what damage steaming would cause to these.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:27 PM

Default a thought

If I could barely notice a bump, I'd leave it alone. Messing with a finish can easily get out of hand, and damage isn't reversible.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the input folks. It is a very minor impression, but it galled me that I did it so thought I’d fix it.

After several days thinking about it and the input here, I’m going to ride with it just like it is.

Roger
Old 02-21-2024, 08:01 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Thanks for the input folks. It is a very minor impression, but it galled me that I did it so thought I’d fix it.

After several days thinking about it and the input here, I’m going to ride with it just like it is.

Roger
It depends on the finish.

I have been using an iron and wet paper towel for years. Most finishes will hold up just fine. If you are concerned you can test the end of the headstock to see how well the finish responds. Just don't over heat the material. Steam is a heat regulator. 212 degrees

As long as there is steam you know the temp.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:11 PM

Can you use the steam method on a small dent under a Nitro finish? I have been told you cannot. I'd love to be corrected.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 02-25-2024, 10:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nitro is more forgiving to heat than my version of Oil Varnish is, but the only way steam goes through either type of finish is by breaching it’s integrity, and I do not recommend it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair