The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post

For true unplugged playing, I'd suggest an upright string bass.

cotten
This. I play bass regularly and have tried many acoustic basses and none would cut it alone. I've stuck with my electric bass guitars.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I've always regarded acoustic bass guitars as a marketing gimmick that they got lucky with. Ya' gotta plug 'em in, that's the reality.
I agree.

As an acoustic bass, there is absolutely no comparison between the full, rich sound of a double bass vs. the quiet, hollow marginal low end of an acoustic bass guitar.

And when they ARE plugged in, they still don't sound very good, not compared to a decent electric bass, which you can also get for less money.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 AM

My husband just bought a Breedlove Pursuit which he loves. Great sound, playability, comfort (concert size, 32" scale), fit and finish. Works well for practicing unplugged and sounds great plugged in.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 09-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Kala Ubass!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
Kala Ubass!
Man, I totally forgot about these!

This video got me sooooo close to buying one a few years ago.

The fun starts at 2:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 PM

As others have said, even getting a high end acoustic bass guitar likely won't compete with one, let alone two acoustic guitars. Unless you go the route of an upright bass (aka double bass), I think you will be frustrated with anything acoustic bass wise.

If funds are limited, a good used bass guitar through a small amp will likely get you closer to what you are looking for. You might try a Precision bass type instrument with flatwound strings.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Way over your budget and very hard to find are the Taylor acoustic bass guitars, which were discontinued a long time ago. I agree with the rest of the mob, get a decent electric base and amp. Please correct me, but isn't the premise of a bass to move a lot of air. A stand up will, a small box not so much.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:02 PM

I've been really interested in the Gold Tone Microbass. It is similar to the Kala but has a longer scale and a larger body. You still get that double bass ish sound but in an instrument that my gut says is more usable.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-25-2015, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
Kala Ubass!
i have a ubass silver rumbler that is as loud or louder than most of the acoustic basses i've played, plus you can plug it in and get a nice, rich tone. hadean makes a version for about $150 that's often for sale at rondomusic.com but they tend to sell them out a lot.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As a closet bass player for 40+ years and having owned two acoustic basses (Guild B-50 and B4E-AMB), IMO there are exactly two reasons for their existence:
  • low-volume solo practice
  • visual vibe - I've actually caught crap from some hide-bound folkies who complained that my Pedulla P/J was "too loud" through the PA but had no issues with my Guild B4E at the same volume
THIS... Steve pretty much nails it.

The only thing I can add is that I had a Tacoma Thunderchief fretless, which was used in some recordings of mine. Mic'd, it gave a decent approximation of an upright bass.

It was better than most volume wise, but it would still be lost unplugged with more than one guitar at moderate volume.

The only acoustic bass that could cut it even slightly in a group is the rare as hens teeth Earthwood Acoustic Bass.

Then there is the guitarrón mexicano...

In your price range, a used electric bass and amp...

Last edited by kydave; 10-25-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM

The whole idea of an Acoustic Bass Guitar comes up with some frequency on this and other forums. It is a really attractive concept, but one that pretty much fails entirely in execution. I have come to regard ABGs essentially as toys masquerading as real musical instruments.

The problem, as others have articulated, is volume. ABGs don't have enough. It comes down to physics. The body of a bass guitar just doesn't move enough air to produce volume at low frequencies. Even the much vaunted and very expensive Tacoma Thunderchief can't keep up with a single loud acoustic guitar, so you pretty much have to plug in and use an amplifier. At that point, you might as well use an electric bass because you will be hucking around a big instrument and a big amp anyway. The only reason I see to use the ABG is aesthetic. If you really need that "Unplugged" look, then it is an aesthetic rather than musical choice.

There are really three solutions.
1) Electric bass guitar plus amp.
2) Upright bass. You trade carrying 2 moderately bulky items for one extremely bulky item, and often you have to mike the upright anyway. But still, nothing sounds and feels like an upright. A little known musical secret, once you own and can play upright at even a rudimentary level, the gigs start rolling in.
3) U Bass or Micro bass. You still have to have an instrument and amp, but the tone is closer to an upright and the instrument itself is easier to transport.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 AM

It's about TONE people ... yes, ABG's must be amplified ... hell, upright basses are usually amplified on stage, too. A good ABG (I have a Tacoma Thunderchief and a Guild B-50) is another tool in the kit of a busy bass player. With the right strings, EQ, and technique they can sound very upright-ish, and always sound quite different from a "slab bass". There are many small "stages" (ie, a corner of a coffee house or bar) where an upright just doesn't fit, and that's where I'll use my ABG. Or when I need to carry four people and their gear to the gig, the upright doesn't fit into the car. An ABG probably isn't what the punk rocker or classic rocker wants to play on stage, I get that, I play my Jazz or P-bass in my country dance band. But in my acoustic stuff (classic country, Americana, blues, folk, etc) I and my band mates prefer the upright or the ABG.

A casual player might want one to play un-amp'd at home, and that's fine ... but no sense spending a bundle on a bass for that purpose.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Guest 2143

I bought a family member who wanted to play upright bass a used, fractional one and have had a blast playing it myself. I would not dream of calling myself a bass player, but 35 years of guitar playing certainly have helped me pick it up a bit. Love the deep, rich sound. A friend/musical partner of mine has a Tacoma acoustic bass (fretless, don't know what model, but it has a sound hole like the Tacoma Chiefs have) that sounds pretty good to me. It does not have anywhere near the depth that the upright has. It is a whole different thing, really, in terms of tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments