The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2016, 05:33 AM

Default Microphone for recording J-45

Looking at setting up my first home recording studio/workspace and need some recomendations on a mic that can capture the tone of a J-45 the best. Budget for now is $2-300. I want something that really captures that warm, woody, percussive growl of the J-45. Would a Rode NT2a work? From reviews it seems quite versatile and might even work with my deep, mellow voice. Any help or recomendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Looking at setting up my first home recording studio/workspace and need some recomendations on a mic that can capture the tone of a J-45 the best. Budget for now is $2-300. I want something that really captures that warm, woody, percussive growl of the J-45. Would a Rode NT2a work? From reviews it seems quite versatile and might even work with my deep, mellow voice. Any help or recomendations are greatly appreciated.
More info needed:
What recording gear do you already own ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
More info needed:
What recording gear do you already own ?
At this moment nothing. I do have a new laptop (windows) with an upgraded audio/graphics card. Nothing pro level. I will run the basic version Pro Tools for now. A friend of mine is gifting me a personus USB AI when he gets a new one soon. Santa is bringing me a Zoom H6 for Xmas. Which of those two have the best preamps? I need the Personus for midi. That leaves me with the mic. As you can see my set up is far from pro level so it doesn't make sense to get a pro level mic. But I also don't want any cheap junk.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM

My 2 cents:

1) Practice recording with whatever you have. At some point you may decide you'd like better. When that times comes, you'll know better how to use it.

2) The sonic difference between a $200 condenser mic and a $600 condenser mic is probably not as great as the difference between a good and bad room.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
My 2 cents:

1) Practice recording with whatever you have. At some point you may decide you'd like better. When that times comes, you'll know better how to use it.

2) The sonic difference between a $200 condenser mic and a $600 condenser mic is probably not as great as the difference between a good and bad room.
I agree with both. However on point 1) I don't have anything to practice recording, yet.
2) is why I'm getting the H6 so I can record in different spaces. My living room is quite spacious in a long hall configuration with stuffed bookshelves. Sounds great when I play my guitar or throw a vinyl record on.
I also agree with the mic. There are lots of things (guitars, cars, etc) in that mid price range that punch above their price range and would require you to spend multiple amounts to get something significantly better. Which is why I am asking about the Rodes NT2a. It seems to be one of those versatile mics that punches well above its price tag but does it kill the J-45 sound or does it capture it well enough or are there better alternatives within the $300 (upper level) price range?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM

I’m betting the Rode NT2A would be great. Here are others that’d be in that ball park…

AKG C214
Neat Microphones King Bee
Rode NT1000
Old 12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

It seems like you are trying to cover both portable needs (Zoom H6) and desktop equipment based recording (presonus audio interface and DAW on your computer). Do you need, or want, to cover both right now? If so, how well/easily will all the equipment interconnect or will these be two separate systems? I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but do you know how you want to use this equipment and what your goals are?

I like the Zoom equipment; I started out with a Zoom H4 before I got any desktop based gear (i.e. audio interface). From there I got external mics to connect to the Zoom when I wanted microphone configurations that the Zoom didn't directly support. From there I got an audio interface and upgraded mics. Then upgraded audio interface and external preamps. So, if you know your needs (including budget and how much time you want to invest) you might pick your best path.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Mikes are not that specific so as you would need to pick a certain mike for a certain guitar. Find a mike that has good reviews for recording acoustic
guitars (plenty of those right here on the forum in most all price ranges) and get two of them. I would be checking out cardioid condenser mikes .

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 12-05-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM

Given Rick's comments above, I'll throw out Sure KSM 137's. I have a pair and they work well. Obviously many choices, but these should work with your budget and seem to get solid reviews. Several AGF folks have these mics for their recording efforts.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
It seems like you are trying to cover both portable needs (Zoom H6) and desktop equipment based recording (presonus audio interface and DAW on your computer). Do you need, or want, to cover both right now? If so, how well/easily will all the equipment interconnect or will these be two separate systems? I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but do you know how you want to use this equipment and what your goals are?

I like the Zoom equipment; I started out with a Zoom H4 before I got any desktop based gear (i.e. audio interface). From there I got external mics to connect to the Zoom when I wanted microphone configurations that the Zoom didn't directly support. From there I got an audio interface and upgraded mics. Then upgraded audio interface and external preamps. So, if you know your needs (including budget and how much time you want to invest) you might pick your best path.

Thanks for all the replies.
TBH I'm recording to make hypnotic meditation tracks(as well as music) as everyone seems to love my voice in that application. Plus I'm doing it for my Yoga classes. So I will be recording various nature sounds hence the need for a H6. Plus traditional instruments like Tibetan singing bowls, gongs, bongos etc.
I need a midi interface for my sons Yamaha DD-65 drum machine for percussions and as a midi controller.
I also plan to record my country blues guitar/ harmonica and make backing tracks so I can gig solo since I don't have the time for a full band.
But really it's all for fun. If I do get serious about it I will either chase the upgradeitis rabbit hole or just rent a pro studio. Like a fool I can see myself chasing the rabbit hole. First a quality AI, then a preamp....better mic.....better cables.....it never ends does it?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Given Rick's comments above, I'll throw out Sure KSM 137's. I have a pair and they work well. Obviously many choices, but these should work with your budget and seem to get solid reviews. Several AGF folks have these mics for their recording efforts.
I was looking at the KSM 141 which has a switchable pattern. It's a bit out of my budget for now but I will keep an eye open for one second hand or in the future as an upgrade.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:22 PM

Just use the H6 and its XY attached mics.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Just use the H6 and its XY attached mics.

Fran
where's the best place to put the zoom h6 with xy mics for 1) acoustic only, and 2) vocals and acoustic for a 1 mic approach to capture both scenarios?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Experiment around a bit, but the area between the 12th fret and the neck/body junction is pretty golden. Start at perhaps 4" away all the way out to maybe 10"? And play around a bit with canting the mics toward the sound hole and/or the lower or upper bout.

Vocals are a bit easier - 4" to 10" directly in front of your mouth. You might consider using a pop filter.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDenverGirl View Post
where's the best place to put the zoom h6 with xy mics for 1) acoustic only, and 2) vocals and acoustic for a 1 mic approach to capture both scenarios?
I like to put the H6 about 18" out from the guitar, slightly above the level of the soundhole, and shifted slightly to the tail of the guitar until I have a left right balance I like.

To capture vocal and guitar at the same time I would move the mic up, still 18-ish inches from the guitar but following an arc, so it arrives closer to my mouth. I would try the XY horizontally and vertically to determine if either orientation is preferable.

All this is just a starting point, after that you might experiment extensively. But with all the emphasis we see on mics, interfaces, EQ, positioning and so on, by far the most important factor is the performance.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
microphone j-45