The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 AM

What really helped me (at least in my perception) is Matt Brandt's truefire course on "Slap, Thump and frail". Here's a excerpt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCv_QOYIso

Matt starts with basic exercise, and then he builds up by adding further elements. No connection, but I found his material very useful.

PS: you don't have to grow the nails that way
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
That's kinda funny because I thought that Paul McCartney's pick'n'flick style was more difficult than the orthodox picking. I didn't get his style until later. What's even funnier is I thought that the slapping of the strings was easier than the flicking as well. Go figure, right? I practically play anything and everything with a slapping sound on 2 and 4 if it's in 4/4 so that's pretty much ingrained into my head. haha
Yes, I find the slap stuff pretty easy and intuitive too, but I know that most don't.
I think certain techniques come more naturally to some than others, and it's really difficult for those who find it easy to explain it to those who don't.

We should probably mention flamenco here, which has a whole storehouse of fancy right hand techniques, including plenty of percussive stuff.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Yes, I find the slap stuff pretty easy and intuitive too, but I know that most don't.
I think certain techniques come more naturally to some than others, and it's really difficult for those who find it easy to explain it to those who don't.

We should probably mention flamenco here, which has a whole storehouse of fancy right hand techniques, including plenty of percussive stuff.
Thanks for not being inclusive of the lefties like myself, jerk!

But anyhow, I think that, when it comes down to fingerpicking, it's all about having your arms, wrists, hands, fingers, and thumbs being able to work independently from one another, meaning that you can do anything with any of them at any time. This is how you really layer in a lot of elements at once and get the best sound quality out of the elements that you are implementing. I have Andy McKee to thank for my learning of all the various slap techniques I know. I don't know where I'd be today without him.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
Thanks for not being inclusive of the lefties like myself, jerk!
Oops . Offensive rightism unintentional.

(Though "jerk" is also an offensive stereotype I resent. Some of us jerks can't help the way we are.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me with this slap style. I've been trying to learn a bunch of Ben Howard songs and in most of them he does a slap-strum. I've been trying to get the sound right but I can never seem to make it sound correct. In this video is he just using his thumb to hit the 6th string?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITHG...eature=related
Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 AM

So I'm learning this right now and using a different video as a guide. I was wondering, when you do this technique, are you slapping and flicking at the same time or slap first and THEN flick? Also, are you hitting just one string or multiple strings on the flick (i.e. in the beginning the downstroke is where you're supposed to flick and it's a high e. I assumed you just flick the high e but I just wanted to make sure).

I think the hardest part is the flick - how strong are people hitting it and with which part of your finger? Sometimes it feels like I'm scraping my index finger against the string...do people just lightly brush it with the tip of their finger or use their fingernail? I also sometimes hit the sound hole by accident. I'm just curious what most people find the most difficult about this?

Here's the tutorial by Zartimus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE53m...prCYN&index=23

Last edited by limache; 01-01-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM

Default just so the idea doesn't die...

I've been exploring this idea a lot in a guitar series that's meant to progress through as much of the technique as I had discovered at the time. I'd love to get some opinions and further ideas...

The Pluck and Chuck Series is the first playlist on the channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3...88h_o50p5rW3nw

The AGF turned me on to John Martyn, who is quite the find! I'm just trying to find as many pieces of the thread as I can. If I have to guess, frailing banjo was part of the roots of the technique. Just a guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write