The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Default Roc-n-Soc For Guitar?

I did a few searches and I'm sure this is probably covered somewhere but I couldn't find anything. Only searched for roc n soc.

I'm looking for a comfortable chair to practice on. I would like to have a back rest so my achy back doesn't get any worse. It seems like the Roc-N-Soc are advertised as drummer thrones but I would assume they make a nice guitar chair too? I was looking at the Nitro with a back rest.

Any other suggestions are more then welcome.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM

I just use a little wooden chair added a padded seat and back and you are good to go.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinminer View Post
I just use a little wooden chair added a padded seat and back and you are good to go.
I need to check into something like that too. Maybe a used cheap office chair and take the arms off. I just like the idea of a small seat like a stool to give your legs more room to go where you like them. That Roc-n-Soc seat is pretty nice and soft for my big butt.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM

i have the pick n glider. you get to rock while you play and no chair arms to get in the way. here is their link.

http://www.pick-n-glider.com/png_vintage.cfm

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i have the pick n glider. you get to rock while you play and no chair arms to get in the way. here is their link.

http://www.pick-n-glider.com/png_vintage.cfm

play music!
That is pretty cool! I suck bad enough sitting still though.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Drummer's thrones ruined my back. I'd get something with a backrest that rocks back a little bit.
I'm going in for a back surgery in two weeks where they are going through my back, my stomach, and my side. Stay away from drummer's thrones.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

..i have a roc n soc without the backrest....its a comfy throne for sure but if i was looking for something with back support i'd want the full back support you get from something like the pick n glider
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

ljguitar has one that his students use; I know he has commented on them favorably in the past. Maybe he will chime in eventually...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post
Drummer's thrones ruined my back. I'd get something with a backrest that rocks back a little bit.
I'm going in for a back surgery in two weeks where they are going through my back, my stomach, and my side. Stay away from drummer's thrones.
Wow! Just briefly sitting on one with a back rest it felt pretty nice. Long term could be different.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:10 PM

I have a Roc-n-soc with the backrest. The back support does its job. the seat cushion gets a lil hard on the butt after 4-5 hours.
If you dont play that long, it'll do fine.

There are also 2 heights available. Make sure you get the one that works for you.

Overall I'd rate it an 8 out of a possible 10
Old 04-14-2012, 05:28 PM

I'm one for a well padded throne, especially when you don't have much padded back side. After a few songs, the old backside sure gets umcomfortable. Oh yeah, it must have the leg rest too.

Drum stool is good too, as an old drummer, I'm quite use to it.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEE93 View Post
I did a few searches and I'm sure this is probably covered somewhere but I couldn't find anything. Only searched for roc n soc.

I'm looking for a comfortable chair to practice on. I would like to have a back rest so my achy back doesn't get any worse. It seems like the Roc-N-Soc are advertised as drummer thrones but I would assume they make a nice guitar chair too? I was looking at the Nitro with a back rest.

i over researched this topic and got the roc-n-soc nitro with backrest and i have no regrets
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEE93 View Post

Hi Brian...
We own a Roc n Soc (the deluxe model) and I can tell you that after about 1/2 hour it cuts the circulation off from the bottom of your thighs.

Roc-n-Soc thrones are designed for drummers who are moving around (both hands and legs) and not for people to sit still on.

I thought maybe it was just me, so I put them across from me during lessons with guitar students, and after about the third one had trouble standing up because their legs had the circulation cut off it dawned on me what was going on.

Don't have a recommendation since SoundSeat went out of business.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I really like Pick N Gliders. I've tried them 4 or 5 times and found them very comfortable. But, when I tried to order one, I got a little disgusted with the guy's attitude. He wasn't polite and didn't call me back... didn't seem to want to answer my questions. So, I gave up. I'm still looking for a nice chair to play in. In the meantime, I use my couch or a very comfortable glider on my porch.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2] I can tell you that after about 1/2 hour it cuts the circulation off from the bottom of your thighs.
Wow. Talk about your deal breakers.
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion