The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Fralin Unbuckers

Anyone own/love/hate them? Looking to replace the JB/59 combo in my Brian Moore. It is a crazy switching setup that splits pickups, I think it is called a Megaswitch, so I need 4-wire pickups. I was drawn to Lollar Imperials based on listening to Collings City Limits, but they are a bit on the jazzy side for me. One dealer suggested Fralin Pure PAF, but for splitting that I'd be best off with the Unbucker

So, looking for input and open to alternate suggestions as well. Been e-mailing with Wolfe at Wolfetones so that's a possibility, but there's an appeal to the Unbucker because it supposedly splits without losing much volume.

Thanks!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Default Fralin pickups

Mike,

Not a direct answer for you. I have a set of vintage hots in my strat and love them. I am currently having a "Les Paul-ish" put together with his PAF's. Why don't you call Fralin and talk to them. I've been told by many folks that you will likely get Mr. Fralin and that he is a great guy and very helpful.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 PM

Most guys seem to think they're the best for splitting.

Interested in selling your Duncans? Was looking at that combo for a metal guitar.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Another alternative is to have Duncan's custom shop make you a pair.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Most guys seem to think they're the best for splitting.

Interested in selling your Duncans? Was looking at that combo for a metal guitar.
I think I have the wrong neck pickup model. According to the Brian Moore site, I have the APH-1N. I have to check. If that still of interest, I'll let you know when I replace them.

Mystic, I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'm leaning toward the Lollars, and may just go with the standard Imperials. Been going back and forth a bit with Dave at Zhangbucker and Wolfe at Wolftones. I keep coming back to the Lollars and how good the City Limits sounded. If I can get the wind the bridge a little hotter, that may be the way to go.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnead View Post
Mike,

Not a direct answer for you. I have a set of vintage hots in my strat and love them. I am currently having a "Les Paul-ish" put together with his PAF's. Why don't you call Fralin and talk to them. I've been told by many folks that you will likely get Mr. Fralin and that he is a great guy and very helpful.
It would be pretty awesome to have a conversation with Mr F about this and see what he says. The switching is pretty funky, and maybe he'd have additional thoughts. Thanks!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 AM

I have a set of Lindy's Tele pickups I am currently crazy about, in the Tele...

With humbuckers it's Jim Wagner. I have a set in my Les Paul that are so close to PAFs I have quit looking(they have been in the guitar about 10 years).

I have AB'd them with the real deal, and not left disappointed.

He winds several flavors of PAF, you have to decide what you want to sound like.

He's a guitar player and does not believe in inferior. Between him and Fralin, they have most of the bases covered.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I think I have the wrong neck pickup model. According to the Brian Moore site, I have the APH-1N. I have to check. If that still of interest, I'll let you know when I replace them.

Mystic, I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'm leaning toward the Lollars, and may just go with the standard Imperials. Been going back and forth a bit with Dave at Zhangbucker and Wolfe at Wolftones. I keep coming back to the Lollars and how good the City Limits sounded. If I can get the wind the bridge a little hotter, that may be the way to go.
Ah, shoot. Was buildin' something with the JB/59 combo. Probably stick to that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars