The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-25-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Taylor 414ce

I just entered the Taylor family a couple months back. I've had a Tacoma DR20 for a few years and have been very happy with it. I started jamming with a guy from work who had a 614ce, which was the first one I'd heard or played and was in love with it, but there was no way I could afford 2800 bucks.

I'd been eyeying a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe as my next guitar for a few years, and one day I was out brousing in a local shp and they had the Gibson, and they had a Taylor 414. I was absolutely blown away by the 414, I knew it would be the next guitar for me. So, after a year or so, I finally went out and bought one. Best investment I've ever made.

The other day I went in to a new Guitar Center which has just come to town, and had the luxery of comparing several Taylors side by side, the 414,514,614, and 714. Call me crazy, but I think the 414 is the best sounding one of the bunch. Granted, they all have that Taylor sound, but the 414 is the most unique sounding guitar I've ever heard. It has a presence that the others just don't have.

Just curious if I'm the only who prefers this model, seems odd considering the price difference. I do, however, wish it played as well and looked as sweet as the 614's and 714's.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwarrior View Post
Just curious if I'm the only who prefers this model, seems odd considering the price difference. I do, however, wish it played as well and looked as sweet as the 614's and 714's.
What do you mean by wishing it "played as well and looked as sweet"? What are you looking for and then maybe someone can recommend some specific ideas. Is the action too high or too low? Is the neck angle somehow off from what you ?

I would guess that you might feel different about the looks if the 414ce had gloss finish instead of satin. This is possibly where you are noticing any playabioity differences as well. The satin finish just feels different and perhaps it sways your opinion.

I have an '03 414ce and an '02 514ce and really enjoy both but I do prefer the tone and sound of my 514ce. As far as playability between the two, there is a difference in playability but I likene it to the differences between my children. I Love then all equally, each are beautiful, yet there is something distinct and different between each that really sets them apart and makes them each individual. Each has a beauty and joy that make them unique.

I would recommend first to try some different sets of strings. It could be as simple as a change in strings. After that have a tech adjust the truss or tweak the action a little. The 300 models and up are basically the same set up.. They're generally the same specs, necks, measurements, and bracings. The main differences are tonewoods, trim, finish and appointment options.

BTW here's a pic or two of my 414ce limited with rosewood back and sides and ES.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Nelson; 12-25-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:29 PM

What I meant that all the 300 and 400 series models I've played don't play as well straight from the factory as 600,700, etc. It plays good, but not great. I had the neck tweeked which helped a little. I know a good luthier who could make it play as good as any other guitar, but I'll probably just leave it as is. It plays good enough for now.

As for "looks as sweet", I'm refering to the nicer inlay, rosette, bound neck and headstock, etc. I actually like the satin finish on the back and sides.

Your model is a limited edition (VERY nice), which probably got some extra care before it shipped. Also with the rosewood back and sides, it probably sounds a lot different the mine with the ovangkol, and I'm sure it was more expensive as well.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass
Old 12-25-2006, 07:21 PM

Default I like them

well actually I am about to Buy my first Taylor and I am getting the 414ce.
I played quite a few taylors but for the price I think this one is a good choice.
plus look around if you want to buy a 614ce for less than that. i found a great deal for the one i am buying.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
As for "looks as sweet", I'm refering to the nicer inlay, rosette, bound neck and headstock, etc. I actually like the satin finish on the back and sides.

Your model is a limited edition (VERY nice), which probably got some extra care before it shipped. Also with the rosewood back and sides, it probably sounds a lot different the mine with the ovangkol, and I'm sure it was more expensive as well.
With my model, the upgrades are the tonewoods and some visual trim features. The rosewood back and sides actually make it a stripped down 814ce. What it is lacking is the full gloss finish, the abalone rosette, ebony buttons, and the bound headstock. The 400 series had the white fiber neck binding up until 2005 when they switched to the black fiber binding of the 300 series.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 12-25-2006, 10:01 PM

I have a 2002 414-ce LTD and had not played it for about four months since I developed nerve damage in my left shoulder.

I got it out a couple days ago and tuned it down a 1/2 step due to my weak left hand and it just sounds great. I am really impressed with it.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Question

Quote:
What I meant that all the 300 and 400 series models I've played don't play as well straight from the factory as 600,700, etc. It plays good, but not great. I had the neck tweeked which helped a little. I know a good luthier who could make it play as good as any other guitar, but I'll probably just leave it as is. It plays good enough for now.
"Dreamwarrior"
I don't want to come off as a "wise-a--", or "nosy"......but I'd sure like to hear some of the issues/reasons behind you saying: "The 300 and 400 Series I've played don't play as well as the 600, 700, etc. series straight from the factory".
(What might a coupla' examples of...."not playing as well" be ?...Thanks! )

'00 814BCE - '00 855BCE - '01 Baby - '05 910CE-L7 - '05 T5-C2 KOA
'57 000-18 Martin - '00 SPJC-16RE Martin
50th. Anniversary Strat.
........(4 Sale)
MACKIE 1202-VLZPro - MACKIE 808M - MACKIE SRM450(s)
CA.BLONDE II - ACOUSTASONIC SFX - ACOUSTASONIC JR's(2)
SHURE SM-58(s) - SHURE SM-86

"If You Can Walk You Can Dance....If You Can Talk You Can Sing"

Last edited by T-120; 12-26-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Cool

Quote:

Nope, you're not the only one who prefers the 414...I have a 2002 414ce, and I'm still lovin' it over most all Taylor models...I haven't tried a Jumbo (15 series), of any model, yet, so the jury's still out on that...

And, I'd like to try out a LKSM, too...

I do like the Ovangkol wood, tonewise...

I'm not too sure of the "played as well" part of your post, either...other than a normal setup, I've not made any adjustments to the action on mine...I thought it was just low enough to not buzz, yet still have good projection.

...now, if we're talkin' other brands...I did get to try out a Bourgeois guitar the other day...it sounded incredible, although the action was too high, and it hadn't been taken care of (housed in a gig bag, on a cart)...the person who owns it had no idea what she had--it was a gift to the hospital she works in, as a music therapist...she said it was donated by Dave Mustaine, of Metallica/Megadeth fame!!! I don't know their models well, but it seemed like an OM body, that had a black finish, narrow waist...kind of like a mini-Jumbo...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 AM

Smile Taylor 414CE

When I bought my 414CE I had a choice of nine different Taylors, ( left handed ). I spent a long time playing each one. The one I'd have had for looks was definitely the 814CE. Being a used model the price was within my budget. Likewise the 710. Nice round tone and felt very nice to hold and play.
But the votes went to the new 414CE. The tone simply jumped out at me. It was bright and clear and felt good to boot.
I didn't even try the electronics I bought it there and then and took it, ( and my very patient Wife ) home.

Each guitar is different and each of us looks for something different. I can only say that I found what I was looking for with the 414CE.
And I'm pleased to say that I was delighted when I plugged it in at home.

Compliments of the season to everybody.

Alan.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:22 AM

"Dreamwarrior"
I don't not to come off as a "wise-a--", or "nosy"......but I'd sure like to hear some of the issues/reasons behind you saying: "The 300 and 400 Series I've played don't play as well as the 600, 700, etc. series straight from the factory".
(What might a coupla' examples of...."not playing as well" be ?...Thanks! )

Sure, mostly the action is set higher. This has been true of every 414 and 310 or 314 I've played. Every one I've played of the 500 series and up has the lowest action possible and play like a dream, right off the shelf without being tweeked. I've had the neck adjusted on mine and it helped, and it now plays better than the other 414's I tried, but it still doesn't fret as easily as an off the shelf 614.

I know I could have a luthier lower it, but I'm afraid of hurting the tone, which to my ears probably couldn't get any better.

I'm confused as to why I'm the only one whose noticed this, considering the price difference of close to a thousand dollars or more, I can see why Taylor makes sure the higher end models play perfectly off the shelf.
I know it's not just my particuler guitar, I've played a bunch and made the same observation.

Maybe it's my imagination? lol
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion