The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Default So I just re-strung my cheapo mandolin...

...and if I never do that again it will be too soon. I think that between the value of the mandolin, the value of the set of strings, and the value of my time, I should have just bought the new mandolin I've been thinking of getting.

I figured after 15 years of changing guitar strings it would just be two more strings. Lesson learned. Next time I'll replace them one by one (I swear that bridge was glued down), I'll watch some kind of YouTube how-to beforehand, and I'll be putting them on a mandolin that doesn't sound like a plastic toy.

Rant over
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM

Well, there are people who buy a new car when the ashtray is full... Why not buy a new mandolin when the strings are old?

Seriously, it does seem like more than 8 strings, doesn't it? I hate tuning a mandolin.

Brian
Old 08-04-2016, 04:28 PM

The first time I put new strings on mine I was thinking the same. I took all of the strings off, and replaced one by one, then adjusted my bridge for proper intonation. Mandolins are tricky, but worth it. Next time I will replace my strings by removing one, and replacing one. I'm thinking that might make the process a little easier. Opposite of you. Lol.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Wink

I see a lot of "changing strings is soooo harrdddd" posts over on mandolincafe. I guess it just never seemed that tough to me. Sounds like you learned about floating bridges - you won't do that again. Now you can also learn how to adjust intonation. Maybe you should ask your doctor if mandolin is right for you.....
Old 08-05-2016, 11:37 AM

believe it or net, it does get easier. I can change strings on my mandolin about as quickly as I can change strings on my guitar, a little less than 20 minutes from fully strung and at pitch to fully strung at pitch. I change 4 strings at a time, both G strings and both D strings, then I flip the mandolin around and change the A and E strings.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:33 AM

When I change mandolin strings I change them one at a time, but it's mainly to maintain as much tuning stability as possible.

Another trick I use to keep the strings from flying off at the tailpiece while being tuned up to full tension is to put a little piece of Scotch tape over the loop end once you hook it there - there are few things more frustrating than to get a string nearly to tension only to have it slip off the tailpiece.

Once in a very great while a loop end will unravel itself when the string is brought up to tension, which sucks, but fortunately it's rare.

Another handy trick is to get the string attached at the tailpiece and then clamp it to the fretboard with a capo while attaching the string to the tuner. That helps a lot.

That said, it's still a pain in the butt changing mandolin strings, but those techniques make it easier.

One tool that helps a lot is to get a string crank that will fit between the mandolin's close-set tuner buttons. For decades I got by as best I could, but then maybe six or eight years ago I put together a dedicated mandolin string crank by taking a regular, inexpensive plastic string crank, cutting off the end of the widget that fits over the tuner buttons, and supergluing a little piece of scrap wood to it to serve as its new end cap.

But then this past fall I ran into Frank Ford at a guitar gathering in California, and he gave me one of his Frank's Cranks. He initially gave me one with a rosewood handle intended for vintage style buttons, but when he found out I could use one for mandolin, he and I walked to his car and he gave me a mandolin crank, as shown on the right in this photo:

Frank's Cranks

The mandolin crank he had in his car has a plain file handle instead of the nice rosewood handle shown in the photo, but I absolutely cherish it. It's so helpful and makes the task of changing mandolin strings considerably faster. It actually works better than my improvised version, because not only is it better quality, but the angles on it are canted slightly for the best ergonomic design.

Frank also offers them with colorful acrylic handles, too:

Frank's Wild And Crazy Acrylic-Handled Cranks

Obviously, I benefited from Frank's generosity, but getting a well-designed dedicated mandolin string crank has made restringing my mandolins MUCH easier than it used to be.

Here's a link to the page on Gryphon's website that has the cranks, if any of you are interested:

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...-string-cranks

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Seriously, it does seem like more than 8 strings, doesn't it?
My autoharp friends would not have a shred of pity for us mando players.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I just restrung my Eastman MD 505. One at a time is not too bad.

If you want a very decent mandolin for a reasonable price, look at Eastman. The 300 and 500 series are a lot for the money.

That said, I think I'm getting a Collings MT tomorrow.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Heh, I know what you mean. I got my Rogue mando on sale, so the set of strings on it is currently worth a quarter of what I paid for the mando itself. At this point I feel almost like it wouldn't be worth the hassle of trying to sell it.
I'm just about due for another string change on my main jam mandolin... and my Guild twelve needs a string change

For me I'd rank it in terms of hassle as:
Mandolin
Twelve string
Six string
Old 08-13-2016, 09:00 AM

Ha, ha, ha! I always chuckle when people complain about changing guitar strings. It's like a 10 minute relaxing job. With the mandolin it's one string at a time with folding and locking them down in tight little spaces. It sucks. Just buy an expensive mandolin and change the strings once a year, and tell yourself you like the vintage sound better.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Mine are due for a change..I been doing this for 30 +years..so no big woop.
Man those are nice string cranks but 97 bucks is a lot for a string crank..
I usually us a standard guitar crank..just remember to leave each button
in the up position...like this ...l.. not this.. __ .. vertical not horizontal. Than the guitar crank will freely turn between the tuner buttons..remembering to do this is always the hard part..lol..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments