The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Humanist

Default Knowledge/comments on Martin B-65 acoustic bass guitar?

Sent by a friend of mine...

Quote:
Hey LP how goes the remodel? How are you two holding up?

Could you put a post up on the Acoustic Guitar forum “for a close friend” asking if anyone has hands-on knowledge of the Martin B-65 acoustic bass guitar?

I’m interested in hearing thoughts on playability and sound, both unamplified and amplified. I’m actually not concerned about playing unamped but it would be good to hear thoughts and impressions (would *not* use unamplified, but want to know about playability and sound quality). Fyi they haven’t been made for a decade or more.

Any help here...and are there any alternatives?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 08-10-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Larry, there is routine discussion of acoustic bass guitars in the "Other Instruments" room. The gist is that all ABG's are acoustically anemic - not nearly loud enough unamplified except maybe for living room solo practice. Even for a living room jam, they easily get overwhelmed by guitars and other instruments.

I recall looking at those Martin basses years ago when they were on the market. My local guitar store here in Boise actually had an all mahogany one on the wall during my last visit, but I have not been in there in a couple of months.

My working alternative is a Kala U-bass through a Roland AC-33 battery powered amp.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Humanist

Thanks.

My buddy says, "...(he) would *not* use unamplified, but want to know about playability and sound quality", sound-quality especially for amped.

I will ask the Mods to move to the "Other Instruments" sub-forum...

Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Larry, in terms of tone and overall acoustic quality, the Tacoma Thunderchief consistently gets good marks from bass players. But the Martin ABG's are well thought-of, as well.

In terms of handbuilt ABG's, David Berkowitz in Washington, DC makes superb instruments, and is probably making the best acoustic baritone guitars on a regular basis, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Larry, in terms of tone and overall acoustic quality, the Tacoma Thunderchief consistently gets good marks from bass players. But the Martin ABG's are well thought-of, as well.

In terms of handbuilt ABG's, David Berkowitz in Washington, DC makes superb instruments, and is probably making the best acoustic baritone guitars on a regular basis, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks, Wade...I think my friend is monitoring, but I'll pass your comments on to him, just to be sure...

Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Knowledge/comments on Martin B-65 acoustic bass guitar?

If you are going to amplify it anyway you might as well get an electric bass. Sounds much better to my ears.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
If you are going to amplify it anyway you might as well get an electric bass. Sounds much better to my ears.
This is why I played Rick Turner Renaissance basses for 15 years.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Depends on music genre ... and the chops of the person playin' that bass. I use my two acoustic bass guitars (Tacoma Thunderchief CB10e and Guild B-50) in place of my upright when conditions warrant (small stage, crazy load in, whatever).
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I tried one in that was in excellent shape in a shop today. Sounded nice and played well, good feel. I just can't imagine it holding its own in a group, even a small one, unless it was amplified. I liked it.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Something that your friend should perhaps consider before purchasing an acoustic bass guitar, which may or may not be important, is this: the "cool" factor for using an A/E bass guitar in an acoustic ensemble has diminished greatly over the past few years, as the novelty of the concept has worn off.

The realities of the limitations of the acoustic bass - too quiet and not very good timbre for acoustic, not even coming close to approaching the "perfect" sound of the double bass; inferior plugged-in tone compared to other types of electric basses available - make this instrument undesirable.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 08-16-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: rule #1
Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM

They are OK. I've had friends with them. I'm not a bass player. I have a Customshop Breedlove acoustic bass with the stinger that I really like.

It is currently on lone to the great Myron Dove who has been very reluctant to give it back. LOL He's talking to Breedlove about building a USA built Bass again.

It might be for sale.

http://www.accugroovellc.com/#!myron-dove/c1jgc

He said it's the best acoustic guitar bass he has ever played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments