The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Default help me glue this brace back correctly

So when a guitar needs repairs it normally means fix it,get it fixed,or sell it. Well i luckily was able to.be the person who found out about it being for sale due to damages. As you can see its made out of some sort of fancy woods too. The top is not very flat and raised but the main big brace is completely unglued. Question is do i clamp the top flat and then proceed glueing? or do i need to get some moisture in the top and try to get it down a bit naturally first? Sorry for the jumbo pic, but.. it works also the pink thing is some sort of feather i think..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 AM

The tops on acoustic guitars are not actually flat, they are built with a radius imparted to them by the shape of the braces. This is to help counteract the load the strings place on them. Looks like you just need to re-glue the brace from the photo.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
The tops on acoustic guitars are not actually flat, they are built with a radius imparted to them by the shape of the braces. This is to help counteract the load the strings place on them. Looks like you just need to re-glue the brace from the photo.
Thank you for the info. The guitar HAS been strung this way with tension for who knows how long. In fact i pointed it out to the previous owner.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Hot hide glue in a syringe, clamp, etc. Should be pretty easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair